RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Texas Eagle

Author Topic: Texas Eagle
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the first in my life I went to downtown St. Louis to take a glance at the Texas Eagle, usually I go to Kirkwood. It arrived at 8:58 or so. So that would make the Amtrak train status page off just a little(they said it arrived at 9:04, close enough though). I also noticed the Eagle had no Sightseer lounge. I took the Eagle in early August and it didn't have one then. Does anyone know when they're going to get one on there on an everyday basis.

Train Consist:
2 engines
2 baggage cars
Transition Sleeper
2 Sleeping cars
Dining Car
2 coach
1 sleeper
7 empty box/mail cars(so said the enginner.)
He also mentioned that it had 16 cars and was running great. Although from the last report it was 1:40 late into Austin. The Eagle arrived 4 minutes early into Poplar Bluff, but 59 minutes late into Little Rock.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That train arrived into San Antonio at 1:05, an Hour and 20 minutes late.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uncle Buck,
I saw the EB Eagle stopped in Arlington, Texas Dec. 21, 2002. Consist did include a Sightseer lounge. Arlington is NOT a stop; it was a slight accident at a downtown crossing.
That's a nice station there in StL!

------------------
+-+
+-+
+-+
+-+
+-+

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah hah hah good on. I remember that St. Louis was going to build a fairly big sized station(Such as the one in Joliet, but not quite as big) where the St. Louis Amshack is now. This was brought about around 3 years ago. But the plans for it fell through. I heard that they are planning on using the money on a new terminal at the Airport.

Just Kidding.

The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amshack!
You slay me!
-- The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe we had talked about this in an ealier thread, but I'm not sure. I got a memo over the summer that there would be no sightseer on 21/22 until there were enough superliners repaired in order to have them available. I don't know...maybe they're slowly phasing them in.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Eagle Dec. 16th as #21, from Chicago to San Marcos, and no Sightseer was in the consist. On the 23rd, Going north, once again, no Sightseer on #22. The sleeping car attendant said that the lounge is on some trains, mainly ones that continue to L.A., via the Sunset, or likewise from L.A. to Chicago. In Fort Worth, we met #22, and it had a sightseer and an extra sleeper on the rear, (from the sunset). The Sightseer should become a regular site on all the trains once equipment is repaired, but that could be a while
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GP25
Member # 158

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GP25   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was there a 35000 Coach Car with the Consist? If there was one. That would have been a fill in for the Lounge Car
Posts: 40 | From: Tarzana, CA-USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a Coach Cafe was a sub for the lounge. Here's the total consist:

#21 12/16/02

P42's #46,193
MHC
Baggage
Trans. Sleeper
Sleeper- S.Dakota
Diner
Coach-Cafe
Coach-Smoking
Coach
MHC
Express Box ph V

#22 12/23/02

P42 #198,76
MHC
Baggage
Trans Sleeper
Sleeper-Tennessee
Diner
Coach Cafe
Coach-Smoking
Coach
Coach Baggage
7 Express Boxcars

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing at bottom of I think the first of the 3 coach cars, the Lounge. While the train was stopped I peared in through the window and saw the lounge
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm...that is curious. The attendant said that they were more likely on the ones that connect with the Sunset? That's weird, because they lounge would just stay on the Eagle. All that actually goes over to the Sunset is a coach and a sleeper.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
True...But with a shortage of lounges, maybe they just feel certain trainsets have the priority, who knows? I'm not sure how they choose what goes where. If I remember correctly doesn't 21/22's equipment come from 58/59? Maybe that has something to do with the lounge only showing up part of the time.
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
I suppose that might be how they choose when to provide a lounge or not. As for 58/59, no, it switches with 7/8.
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Went downtown again to see the morning train, and this Eagle had the lounge. Unfortunatley it was 3 hours and 7 minutes late. Just happened to be in the neighborhood eating at Union Station. While we were down at the station we thought about taking the train to Kirkwood from St. Louis(Ann Rutledge) for our fun and enjoyment. Well my brother and I did and at a good price of $4 for the two of us. The train had 3 Burlinton Northern Santa Fe cars at the end(names were Fred Harvey, Cajon Pass, and forgot the last one.)

A funny thing happend with both trains. A second after the Eagle blew the Whistle to leave, about 2 or 3 people show up and their running to the conductor to stop the train. Well it did and 2 of them got on board. Then the train blows the whistle a second time and just then the one of the 3 women that didnt get on the train comes running over to the conductor to stop the train because the 2 women on board had left a piece of luggage behind. So they got the luggage to the passengers and the Train blows the whistle a third time to leave. About 20 seconds after the Third blow of the whistle a women comes running up to the station conductor(That is standing on the platform)to stop the train. But by that time the train was half way out of the station and on its way to Chicago. So the conductor told the women that she would have to take the next train to Chicago. But, sort of, lucky for that person the next train arrived into downtown about 15 minutes later. The thing that I found funny about this is that how could 4 people be late for a train that was 3 hours late.

The funny story with our train was when the train blew the whistle to leave I looked out the window and saw two people running over to the train to get aboard. The train had only moved about 15-20 feet before they stopped for these two people.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page