RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief-AMTRAK VACATIONS

Author Topic: Southwest Chief-AMTRAK VACATIONS
Dean
Member # 1730

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are contemplating traveling from Chicago-Williams Junction-Grand Canyon on the SWC. Anyone have experiences (+ or -) with using AMTRAK VACATIONS in connections with Grand Canyon touring? How about the Gand Canyon Steam Train? Suggestions?
Thanks,
D.M.

Posts: 11 | From: Altamont, IL USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the Grand Canyon when I was 4(1992). We went to K.C. and got on the SC there. We went to Flagstaff, but now the arrival times for that station are early and late, so I would suggest Williams. We got a bus from the station to a hotel in Flagstaff. The next day we went to a motel in the Grand Canyon area. We took the steam train from a station somewhere(Help me out anybody) to Locknivar lodge next to the Canyon. It was a cool ride. This was not part of Amtrak Vacations at least I dont think. Good Vacation overall, although my dad, bother, and I almost wandered off into an Arizona Desert and died.
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just booked my May vacation to the "big Ditch" through Amtrak Vacations.

Their Grand Canyon packages did not fit with our itinerary, so I tried to book through www.thetrain.com . Their packages didn't work for me either ($630 for night in Williams Junction, train to Grand Canyon, two nights at Maswik Lodge, and train back to Williams junction).

Unfortunately, the Fray Marcos Hotel wants $142 for 10 hours (arrive 11:00 pm and depart at 9:00 am), so I dumped them and booked at the Budget Host for $35 (www.thegrandcanyon.com/budgethost/). The train trip (round trip) was $130 with AAA discount, and the two nights at the Maswik at the Grand Canyon is $236, for a total of $401.

This is my 3rd time booking through Amtrak Vacations. So far, so good....no complaints

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to check your baggage or rent a car, or if you are trying to economize, consider Flagstaff as an alternative. The times are a little better. Hertz will have your car waiting at the depot no matter how late the train is. Rates for a decent motel there are very competitive.
If you prefer not to drive but take the Grand Canyon Railway, Williams would be the choice if checked baggage is not necessary.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just a test. I made a post to this thread earlier this week, but it does not show up in here now when I read the thread. However, when I pull up my screen name and ask to see all recent threads I have posted, there it is! Anyhone know why?
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe ... there are 2 threads with the same title: "Southwest Chief-AMTRAK VACATIONS" The other one is roughly 9 or 10 below this one! Wait, I'll go bring it up.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page