RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Commuter Trains » Metrolink Orange Sub. Question

Author Topic: Metrolink Orange Sub. Question
gonx
Member # 389

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gonx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Is there an obstacle (bridge, overpasss, small RoW) between La Veta (173.2) and Lincoln (174.7) that prevents this short segment from easily being double tracked? It seems to be a bottleneck at times. I don't reside in So Cal, otherwise I would ride the trains to see for myself. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Randy C.
McAllen, TX

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe this segment is in a narrow right-of-way. The route travels through a medium density suburban area. There is a freeway underpass and bridge over a small creek, and the line also runs parallel to a residential street.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe All the Way
Member # 526

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe All the Way     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong but if you are talking about the Orange Olive part of the line, there are two major obstacles. First going south, the line crosses the 91 freeway on a single track overpass. This still has faded Santa Fe heralds if you look closely. Right after this the line crosses the Santa Ana River on a series of bridges. One section used to be wooden, but Metrolink smartly rebuilt this section into modern concrete. As for double tracking this line, these two obstacles would prove costly. In addition to this, the line connects to the BNSF mainline at Atwood. Double traking would make this a confusing junction at an already crowded location. Also this line really forms a large "Y" from Atwood to Fullerton and connecting in Orange. The line out of Fullerton is Double tracked because in addition to Metrolink, Amtrak uses this line. The Atwood part only carries Metrolink and the occasional local San Diego frieght.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fubu05
Member # 465

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for fubu05   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ride the Surfliners quite often, and have noticed surveyors looking to where they can connect the section of track that runs from XFT-Fullerton Junction to La Veta (Orange Station area), and the one that runs from Avery to Lincoln. Metrolink is presently doing an EIR about this segment. I am expecting a bid for construction soon. You should check http://www.metrolinktrains.com and click on the contracting page and you will see more info there.

Thanks

------------------
Mark Landau

Posts: 60 | From: Tampa, Florida | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page