RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » International » Lessons Unlearned?

Author Topic: Lessons Unlearned?
drake
Member # 1724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for drake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the time of the Polmadie (scotland) derailment it was found that the practice of pushing the train with a 111ton loco contributed to the heavy loss of life, this occured when the train hit a COW!
Since then we have had the Ladbrooke Grove crash (Paddington,London) where I am sure the loss of life would have been far greater had the High speed diesel train not impacted the commuter train with it`s 70 ton power car.
We are now to have lightweight trains travelling at 125mph with power units under each cars floor, would you be happy with this?

Posts: 4 | From: cheltenham united kingdom | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the US, the concern with push mode was that a passenger car would not do well in a collision with a truck at a crossing. Both crew safety and passenger safety were issues. I think they strengthened the frames of the cars in the lead when the train is in push mode. There also is a slow-but-steady effort to eliminate crossings.
In the UK, eliminating grade crossings (level crossings) does not seem to be the main issue, as the accidents you mentioned were not caused at crossings.
Maybe if the frames of the passenger cars were made stronger would that have reduced the number of passenger deaths/injuries?

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake
Member # 1724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for drake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nearest we have recently had in the UK to a grade crossing fatal accident was when a 4wd and trailer came off the road in snow and partly obstructed the path of a S. bound 125mph express at Selby'
The arial photographs showed the anatomy of the tradgedy.
1) The train was headed by it`s driving van trailer, the 6300hp, 84 ton electric locomotive was pushing from the rear. If the loco had hit the 4wd it may not have derailed.
2)On derailing the lead carriage ran on, upright, on the trackside away from the oncoming N.bound heavy freight train.
Just short of the point of impact a switch from a siding picked up the light weight car and threw it into the path of the Freight.
If the loco had been heading the train it would not have been so easily thrown or thrown so far, it may have side-swiped intead of going head on into the freight train.
3)After the impact the 84 ton locomotive cotinued to push and concertina the train into an overbridge 200 yards away from the point of impact.
4)ten people were killed,including both train drivers, the 4wd driver got 5years jail.
These things are loaded with `what ifs` but it still seems scary to me that at 125mph there is little more protection for me in the new trains then at 70mph in my car, strengthening the frame would help I am sure but I would want some serious ballast installed to stop the train becoming airborn in a collision.

Posts: 4 | From: cheltenham united kingdom | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing about that accident...there was some comment that one of the 4WD's tires blew which caused him to lose control and drive over the embankment (or lose the trailer--that much I'm not sure of). I did not realize the driver went to jail...evidently he was found at fault?

Some of that sounds a little like the HSR accident in Germany a few years back, though that was caused by equipment failure, which in turn caused the other problems. That did seem to be an isolated incident.

Regardless, I have been to UK/Europe only a couple of times, but I notice that highway drivers and pedestrians are generally more alert to trains and are less likely to dart across in front of them. Over here in the US, even though there are heavy fines for running around signals, people routinely risk their lives to drive around crossing gates. Part of it can be blamed on the "rush-rush" culture, some can be blamed on thrillseeking, and much of it can be blamed on not paying attention or general cluelessness of people.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake
Member # 1724

Rate Member
I read in the paper yesterday that the 4wd driver in the Selby accident had lost his appeal. No fault wasfound on his vehicle, apparently he had been up in an internet-chat room and sending text messages to a woman all night and he went to sleep at the wheel. There but for the grace of God go I, some might say!
We are a little more disciplined with level crossings here, un-gated crossings are rare and the half gated crossings are being replaced. Our big problem at the present is big trucks hitting over-bridges and causing the line to be closed for repairs. So far, as much as I am aware, there has been no fatality or seiuos injury.
On closing for today might I say very well done to the USA soccer team who made it to the world cup quarter finals only to be narrowly beaten by Germany.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page