RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » RailFan » Southern Railway

Author Topic: Southern Railway
Stumpie
Member # 228

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stumpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been looking at photos of Southern and haven't seen any "Foreign" diesels in any of the consist's. Did Southern ever use any foreign power?
Thanks

Posts: 3 | From: TennGa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 99.9% sure Southern Railroad never used any, foreign power!!!! The Southern was so sucessful and well-funded, it never was short of power. Whenever the trains came into Southern's domain, Southern power was added, no foreign-power ran on southern tracks, that I have ever heard of. I did take the time to try and research this question, and this was the general consensus of several, old-timer's who worked for the Southern Railroad. Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpie
Member # 228

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, that seems to be the answer I've gotten from all the places I posted.
Thank you

Posts: 3 | From: TennGa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cnotp
Member # 342

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cnotp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, GT used to have run-through power head south onto the KY Division from Cincinnati. My friend's dad has a ton of photos of ALL GT and/or DT&I power on "Southern" trains.

Generally speaking, though, I don't remember seeing much foreign power when I was a kid watching the trains in the few years before the SOU/NW merger.

------------------
Jeff
http://www.trainweb.org/cnotp

Posts: 34 | From: Erlanger, KY, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cnotp:
Generally speaking, though, I don't remember seeing much foreign power when I was a kid watching the trains in the few years before the SOU/NW merger.
[/B]

But, wouldn't you say that run through power is a relatively new development. As a kid fanning the Q and Santa Fe in the 50s, I never recall seeing foreign power operating on either line unless it was a reroute caused by a derailment.

Time to call me an "old timer" I guess.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cnotp
Member # 342

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cnotp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say whether run-throughs are new or not as I have absolutely no clue, but the run-throughs I mentioned were dated in the late '70s and early '80s (up to the merger in 1982 at least).

------------------
Jeff
Norfolk Southern CNO&TP Home Page

Posts: 34 | From: Erlanger, KY, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ccrider
Member # 384

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ccrider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foreign power was pretty rare as I can recall on the Southern, but not all that rare on the L & N. Up in my neck of the woods on the EK Subdivision, I can recall seeing lots of foreign power when I was a kid.

The L & N (at least in Eastern Kentucky) seemed like they were always broke in the late 60's and early 70's and when the trains weren't falling off the track at the yard in Ravenna, so it wasn't all that rare for them to be short of power as well.

The most common obviously was SCL power and other members of the 'family', but there was also a pretty constant flow of power from some of the former merger partners as well.

Posts: 5 | From: berea, KY | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page