RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » RailFan » Need Train Help!!

Author Topic: Need Train Help!!
The Fuel, Fuse, & Flame
Member # 322

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for The Fuel, Fuse, & Flame   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know where I can learn more about trains and the railroad system? Basically things like train and railway operations, terms, and jargon. Not real complicated stuff just basics.

Also does anybody know what those old railroad vehicles that two (or so) people stand across each other and push and pull on a seesaw type of thing (that propels the rail-vehicle forward) are called?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1 | From: Newton, Mass, Evil Empire | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, to The Forum! I would expect the best place to read up on railroads, would be your public library. Or, you could contact, Kalmbach Publishers@1-800-533-6644, ask them about their publications relative to, trains and operations. A subscription to, TRAINS MAGAZINE, may be all you need! The 2-man vehicle you referred to is a, Gandy-dancer, a vehicle propelled by, raw-muscle power. ....Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Pasteris
Member # 4

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Joe Pasteris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have scanner you can listen to dispatchers communicate to the engineers on the road channels. Tune in to 160.000 to 162.000mhz where most railroad channels are on. Have fun.
Posts: 24 | From: DeKalb, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oakfield Railroad Museum
Member # 137

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oakfield Railroad Museum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rail car you speak of is a handcar, or pede which is the shortened version for velocipede. A gandy dancer is a trackman and gets the name from the motions they make while forcing ballast under crossties with a tamping spade.
quote:
Originally posted by The Fuel, Fuse, & Flame:
Does anybody know where I can learn more about trains and the railroad system? Basically things like train and railway operations, terms, and jargon. Not real complicated stuff just basics.

Also does anybody know what those old railroad vehicles that two (or so) people stand across each other and push and pull on a seesaw type of thing (that propels the rail-vehicle forward) are called?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 7 | From: Oakfield Me USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page