RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » RailFan » Lol i was walking on the Santa Rosa tracks today and came across something....

Author Topic: Lol i was walking on the Santa Rosa tracks today and came across something....
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a Cable hanging out of the Rail, I'm think it was a Trigger for the Train signels that were about 80 yards away. Its not like i was going to kick it and see if it would set off the signels but I am just wondering, If the little cables on the tracks are not the triggers for the signels, Then what sets off the Train signels??
Posts: 56 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Ridenhour
Member # 159

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Michael Ridenhour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picture the two rails as a circuit. When the train gets close enough to the signals the wheels and axles of the train close the circuit and activate the crossing lights and arms. It works the same way with lineside signals.
Am I anywhere close to being right anybody?

Michael Ridenhour

Posts: 3 | From: Rockwell, NC USofA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe il just kick the thing to find out
Posts: 56 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railcat
Member # 393

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, Mr. DrunkEngineer, I would refrain from kicking too many things until we are certain precisely what they are. What size is this cable? Perhaps were are referring to the little doodads which joint segments of rail, are maybe a quarter of an inch thick and seven or eight inches long. They would be bond wires, and are most definitely a part of the signal system, ensuring electrical continuity between segments of rail.

Tracks circuits are comprised of insulated blocks, the shunting of which causes the circuit to be occupied, thereby setting signals to red and affecting code determining aspects of other signals. Someone more familiar with the details of this process could shed a lot more light upon it.

Be careful when kicking objects close to the rail. It does not give much.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page