RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » RailFan » Everyone's favorite train watching spot (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Everyone's favorite train watching spot
Richard Haskell
Member # 59

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Richard Haskell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's start a list of everyone's favorite spots to watch trains go by, nationwide. I travel and would love to know some "secret" places to wave and wonder. An abandoned overpass?, Long haul curve?, Helper in the mountains?

My spots?

1: Vaughn New Mexico, where the BNSF on the Abo cutoff crosses over the U.P. on the Tucumcari cutoff. Yard work and helpers. Non-stop action. 60 trains a day on both lines. Crews willing to swap stories.

2: Alamogordo New Mexico, 1st Street crossing behind Dairy Queen with an historic water tower in the back ground. 20 big long trains with friendly crews that will wave and toot for railfans and videographers.

Who's Next?

Posts: 6 | From: ALAMOGORDO, NEW MEXICO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couple places in North Florida..
In Jacksonville, one of the best places is the pedestrian overpass that crosses the throat at the south end of Moncrief Yard, CSXs' main yard here..most trains from FEC heading north pass through here..all of the north and southbound CSX trains go through here..all of the Amtraks north, south and west have to pass through to and from the station including the Sunset and Autotrain.
Norfolk Southern bypasses the yard but go through this area on there way to and from Simpson Yard.
Farther north the split at Folkston, GA.. some trains head northwest towards Waycross. others head northeast towards Savannah and points north...great viewing from the highway overpass.

Couple of my favorites..

Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a great spot last month visiting Kansas. The BNSF trackage through Lebo Ks.
It is a tiny town but on the BNSF mainline with a passing siding, older style signal bridges and all the fixins'. A really neat spot. Also the old Harvy house/depot in Kelso Ca. a beautiful setting but hot as h---in the summer. Can be 115+ . So I recomend a winter visit. Both these spots are up close and personal.
Millcstl

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Muckey
Member # 63

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Muckey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite train watching spots are Maple avn crossing in Palmyra, Lyons, NY way yard and Savannah Route 31and 89 overpass and any crossing that has signle towers to see of on coming traffic.
Palmyra on list because of the track totrack cross over forphoto opp. seing trains cross over from 1to 2 and 2to 1,
and the others are self explanatory.

------------------
Robert Muckey

Posts: 18 | From: Lyons, New York USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jb_cratchet
Member # 76

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jb_cratchet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Haskell:
Let's start a list of everyone's favorite spots to watch trains go by, nationwide. I travel and would love to know some "secret" places to wave and wonder. An abandoned overpass?, Long haul curve?, Helper in the mountains?

My spots?

1: Vaughn New Mexico, where the BNSF on the Abo cutoff crosses over the U.P. on the Tucumcari cutoff. Yard work and helpers. Non-stop action. 60 trains a day on both lines. Crews willing to swap stories.

2: Alamogordo New Mexico, 1st Street crossing behind Dairy Queen with an historic water tower in the back ground. 20 big long trains with friendly crews that will wave and toot for railfans and videographers.

Who's Next?

Ole JB here!
Barnesville MD is a great spot because we're getting all kinds of transient roadnames coming through, including brand name locos. Had a Dash 9 77AC unit from BNSF on our trax of the Metropolitan Sub on CSX trackage. It also has a block signal visible in each direction, convenient for setting up those prepped photo shoots.

------------------
Theres no crying in baseball,

JB

Posts: 5 | From: silver spring MD USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite has to be the Middlefield Rock Cuts, on the now CSX Boston line in Middlefield, Mass. The Twin Ledges cut is the best, but it requires a walk-in hike of about 1/2 mile. The other cuts require some walking too, but they are worth it.

But my most frequented spot is the main street crossing in my town.

------------------
AJ Y6b

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Pasteris
Member # 4

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Pasteris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot to watch is at Railroad Park in Rochelle, IL. The BNSF and the UP cross each other. The park has a wooden shelter that is elevated so you can see the trains at the cab level. Also there is a scanner mounted on the rafters of the shelter so you can hear both BNSF and UP road channels. There is probably 60 to 80 trains on the UP, and about 40 to 60 trains on the BNSF. Also has a nice gift store of train stuff. And if you are on the internet there is a web cam at this location. You can find it on Trains Magazine Online.
Posts: 24 | From: DeKalb, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Danielsen
Member # 92

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Paul Danielsen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Rochelle IL. 2nd would be Dolton IL, Belt Railway,Conrail, CSX, UP, IC and more. 3rd Terre Haute IN at Haley Tower.
Posts: 1 | From: Brazil IN USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William
Member # 91

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for William     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmer,Massachusetts where csx's (i guess would be labeled as ex nyc)Boston line crosses new england central's line cross(on a diamond!)

Also amtrak's Mystic,Connecticut depot.A railfans delight for me....relatives only 1/4 mile from station

Posts: 19 | From: Leominster,Ma | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The diamonds at Palmer, Mass are not as good as they used to be. There are still advantages to Palmer such as: Plenty of legal parking; combining the signal lights and a good scanner, means no surprises; plenty of fast food nearby; the possiblities of a good meet; the sound of the trains hitting the diamonds; and there is usually someone around to shoot the breeze with.

What I don't like about Palmer: The photography angles are limited due to jockeying for position with other fans; the $@#%~*& flag that the antique shop hangs towards the tracks further screws up picture possiblities; they did away with the railfan bridge that allowed you to get great overhead shots; and last but not least, there have been more idiot railfans showing up due to the publicity that Palmer has gotten in the rail and video press in the recent past. (I had one guy tell me about all the times he has been arrested for trespassing on rr property.) I have also seen idiot railfans stand in the gauge at Palmer.

In my opinion I would not waste my time at the diamonds anymore. When I head out that way, I will drop in to see if someone is there and find out what has been through. Then I usually head east down to the end of the double track, or pull out my telephoto lens and work the other side of the barn in Palmer and then find some scenic spots along the way to Warren. Don't forget to stop in at Tucker's Hobbies in Warren. Also if you get lucky, you may be able to chase the New England Central or the Mass Central with their Alco's

------------------
AJ Y6b N&W and Conrail Fan
http://communities.msn.com/TheGRRModelRR (my page)

http://www.nvrra.org (my club's page)

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mccannt
Member # 123

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mccannt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find one of the best combinations of features at the Amtrak station in Vancouver, Wash. It's right at the junction of the BNSF Fallbridge (Portland-Wishram-Pasco) and Seattle (Portland-Tacoma-Seattle) Subdivisions; sits inside the wye connecting the two routes (with the middle lead into Vancouver Yard as the third wye leg); has ample, safe parking, with food outlets nearby; allows safe, legal viewing from the parking lot and the platforms; is right next to the BNSF Columbia River drawbridge, and thus sees a lot of stopped trains when the bridge swings open; has BNSF, UP and Amtrak trains practically around the clock; and also has several adjacent industrial operations with their own locomotives.

There aren't too many railfan places in the U.S. where you can watch a Talgo passenger train sweep by on one track, turn around and watch a string of BNSF "Heritage" units and former Santa Fe "Warbonnets" bring a train up another, then turn back around again and watch a UP intermodal thunder past, perhaps with former SP or C&NW-painted diesels mixed in with the armour yellow.

Posts: 7 | From: Gresham, Oregon, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donn
Member # 138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend Berea Junction, located in the town of Berea just sosuthwwest of Cleveland. No need to cross any tracks to get good shots and cops are tolerant if you don't. This is probably the hottest train activity spot in Ohio. Was the cross point on the great Conrail "X". Now hosts heavy traffic to Chicago on the NS line and somehat lesser traffic to Indianapolis on the CSX line.

Second best spot would be Greenwich OH where CSX's newly rebuilt Pittsburgh - Chicago line (about 100 trains per day) crosses the line from Berea to Indianapolis, adding another 20. Toledo

Toledo: Vickers Junction where the CSX main between Toledo and Detroit crosses the ex-NYC now NS "Chicago Line". Great spot but you may find yourself on RR property. Beware of the "periodic railfan purges".

------------------
Donn

Posts: 4 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not able to get over to the States too often, but anywhere on Tehachapi would be hard to beat!

------------------
Alan

The perfect combination - BNSF and N Scale!

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Ridenhour
Member # 159

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Michael Ridenhour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot is on CSX`s ex Clinchfield mainline in West NC, East TN, and Southwest VA. Theres nothing like watching and listening to those long coal trains battle the Blue Ridge!
Posts: 3 | From: Rockwell, NC USofA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert F
Member # 141

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert F     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too far from my house, there is a curve right before the tracks go in to a tunnel. It is just west of Canoga, on the west dead-end of Rinaldi, in Chatsworth CA. Great spot to see trains, not too many freights due to the washout at Gaviota though.

-Robert F.

Posts: 8 | From: Chatsworth, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David R. Busse
Member # 169

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David R. Busse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In no particular order:

-Kirkwood, Mo., on UP (ex-MoPac) main line, 13 miles west of St. Louis.

-Spotted Robe, Mont., on the east side of Marias Pass.

-Klondike, Calif., on the BNSF Needles Subdiv. Best observed at dawn on the morning of the summer solstace.

-Maine, Ariz., west of Flagstaff on BNSF.

Posts: 2 | From: Diamond Bar, Calif. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
therailnut
Member # 171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for therailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have many places in Galesburg,IL. My favorite spot is the County 10 Railroad Bridge. I have a birds eye veiw of the south end of the diesel pit and the north end of the hump yard. Railfans eat your heart out. Even that the railroad runs though my back yard so I can get picutures just about anywhere in galesburg.

------------------
keep on railroadin'

Posts: 24 | From: Galesburg ,IL | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a few. Since I live in Bakersfield I'm only a short drive from Tehachapi loop. That's gotta be a great one. Another is the Horseshoe curve in Altoona Pa. & the Hudson River at the Bear Mountain bridge. Reggie

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 09-17-2000).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Shaw
Member # 179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Shaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brickyard Rd crossing in Altoona, PA for lots of action on the NS (Old PRR main line) near Horseshoe Curve. 3 tracks of action. Another one is in Cresson, PA across the tracks from the helper yard. Town built a viewing deck with radio broadcasr, a caboose and tables plus lots of parking. Then of course there Horseshoe Curve. View not as good in past because of the groth along the tracks. but still great.
Posts: 1 | From: Waterloo, NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slimjim375
Member # 199

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for slimjim375   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best spot in the whole world if you are a Rio Grande fan is Helper, UT, home of the last great stand of D&RGW SD40T-2's. Most of the time this is the only power in the yard. Nothing better than watching and hearing six or sometimes more on the help running in run 8 heading west up the Price River Canyon.

------------------
Jim Harrawood
Utah Rails

Posts: 21 | From: Draper, UT | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa Ana Canyon and Pinole, CA.
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot afford to get over to the states very often, but you guys are sure giving me lots of railfanning places to think about

------------------
Alan

The perfect combination - BNSF and N Scale!

ac-models
The N Scale Andersley Western Railroad

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Turner
Member # 233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Turner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot is on the CSX' River Line along the Hudson River in New York. The area near the Bear Mountain Bridge off Route 9W has the best scenery a Northeast railfan could as for: Rivers, Tunnels, Foreign Motive Power, and green hills.
Second favorite is Chester, MA on the CSX Boston & Albany Division.

Posts: 1 | From: Shrewsbury, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennsyman58
Member # 235

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennsyman58     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Canada: Called the Ontario's
hot spot. Located just outside of Hamilton
Ont. it is on hwy403

SAND PATCH PA. CXS up hill grade to
Cumberland MD. It is located just off of
us. Hwy 219, then you go on to county road
653. If you leave Sand Patch stay on county
road 653, and it will bring you out onto
County roda 96 at Hyndman, the start of the
grade to Sand Patch from Cumberland.

[This message has been edited by Pennsyman58 (edited 11-02-2000).]

Posts: 8 | From: St. Cloud,Fl USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennsyman58
Member # 235

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pennsyman58     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MUNCIE,INDIANA
Conrail and NS cross in Muncie at this Location: Power St. and Council St. Good
Location.

Posts: 8 | From: St. Cloud,Fl USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pennsyman58
Member # 235

Rate Member
Horseshoe Curve area. TUNNEL HILL located in
the town of Gallitzin. Gives you a real good
view of the action. Also go to AR tower in the same town.

Pennsyman58
Member # 235

Rate Member
Southern Calif. DAGGET. Dagget is just to theEast of Barstow. this is where the UP
connects with the BNSF. UP is coming from
NV. The best time is in the morning.

MOJAVE CA. SP/UP and BNSF meet here. BNSF
from Barstow.

[This message has been edited by Pennsyman58 (edited 11-02-2000).]

Pennsyman58
Member # 235

Rate Member
Folkston,Ga. at this place you will see at
least 100+ trains in a 24 hour perion

qwoot
Member # 261

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for qwoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot, or at least the most easily acessible, is an area next to an overpass in my town, Tullahoma, TN. A CSX mainline from Nashville to Chattanooga runs through our town. Lots of leasers and other roads. The other day I saw a 13 engine lashup, and earlier, a 6 engine.
Posts: 2 | From: Tullahoma, TN | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlotte,N.C. @ the train terminal, you can watch all the action in the very large yard. Lots of stack-trains being loaded by multiple equipment. North and south traffic is frequent and when you view the tracks to the south, from the terminal, it's so neat to see all the mainlines taper-down to a vanishing point, with the skyline of Charlotte, in the distance!!!!
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnychooch
Member # 187

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for johnnychooch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot? Well, you may find other areas in Cajon Pass in Southern California with more appealing backdrops, but as far as traffic density, proximity to trains without getting arrested for tresspassing, and the convenience and ease of accessability, I like Devore, CA., former station site on the old Santa Fe Route.

Both BNSF and UP escape the Los Angeles Basin to the North and East by assaulting this climb up the pass..and by Devore, they're well into this task, pushing the limits of their equipment. This ain't flatland railroading!

From Interstate 15 or 215, exit Glen Helen Pkwy. or Devore Rd. Head downhill toward the tracks; at tha grade xing, both BNSF double track and UP single track mains cross Devore Rd. no more than 50 yards apart, but are seperated by a dirt road that is on a private easement. A mile from the freeeways, a convenience store is across the street; no hiking or hassle, plenty of parking! Just observe good judgement, be safe, and you won't be hassled, and you'll meet some nice people (say Hi to old Wally...He's always there).

Best time is 10am to 3pm, Best traffic in mid-week. Beware of rush hour congestion on adjacent freeways-oh, and there's a KOA Campground nearby, too.

See You There!

Johnny Chooch

------------------

Posts: 9 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
top_bullfrog
Member # 310

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for top_bullfrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that barstow yard and roseville yard are good places to watch trains all day. I have a place in sacramento near CSUS where i can watch UP.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger3985
Member # 324

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Challenger3985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Santa Ana Canyon. I regularly railfan there. Cajon Pass is great, especially around Summit. Its great to see mile long BNSF freights assault and top the hill.

Weather is nice now, but bring the shades in the summer, cause it gets toasty!

Scott

------------------
Southern California
Near the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society
Home of Santa Fe Northern 3751

Posts: 1 | From: Yorba Linda, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timecruncher
Member # 323

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for timecruncher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aack! Nobody's mentioned Hamilton, OH -- CSX, NS, lots of activity... Stay off of the tracks and RR police won't bother you. There's even a McDonald's for restroom and nutritional necessity! There's usually not too many railfans, but talking defect detectors a mile or so either way announce the approach of everything. Occasionally a train to Indianapolis will appear and you can chase it upgrade west of town. Semaphores are gone, but good 'ol B&O CPL's still reign in this area!
Posts: 6 | From: Burlington, KY USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Pasteris
Member # 4

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Joe Pasteris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another spot is in Clinton, IA. UP main from Chicago is there, IMRL and BNSF also shares trackage along the Mississippi River. Sometimes IMRL does a lot of local runs. During the weekday is very busy on both lines. There is even a old CNW depot that is now art gallery, and couple of other stores.
Posts: 24 | From: DeKalb, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enrailway
Member # 350

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for enrailway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Favorite spots for trainwatching are at the Russell's Roundhouse in Victoria, BC and Langford,BC at Mile 8, both on the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway.
Posts: 26 | From: Sooke, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IORY_GP40
Member # 357

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IORY_GP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winton Place in Cincinnati, Ohio. Three main tracks (2 CSX, 1 NS, plus Indiana & Ohio with trackage rights on both CSX and NS) and over 100 trains a day from NS, CSX and I&O. Definatly my favorite spot!

David Rohdenburg
Owner/moderator, Indiana & Ohio Rail System Discussion List:
http://www.egroups.com/group/IandO_List

Posts: 8 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KC Railfan
Member # 363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KC Railfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SantaFe Junction in Kansas City is my favorite place.
Posts: 8 | From: Lee's Summit Missouri USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saludamtn
Member # 369

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saludamtn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No particular order, just personal favorites:
Selma NC - regular hangout with a crowd on weekends. CSX A line crosses NS Raleigh-Morehead line
Cresson Pa - The front porch of the Station Inn. Need I say more?
South Rocky Mount - another regular place
Pamona Yd in Greensboro - park in the Amtk lot and hope for the best these days
Collier Yard in Petersburg - CSX crosses NS Norfolk main

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csxt602
Member # 370

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for csxt602   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot would be St. Denis/Relay, Md., where CSX's (ex-B&O) Capitol Sub and Old Main Line Sub meet at historic Thomas Viaduct. Triple trackage, lots of action.

A close second would be anywhere from Brunswick, Md. up to Cumberland and Sandpatch.

------------------
csxt602 - Baltimore, Md
MP6.8 on the Capitol Sub

Posts: 4 | From: Baltimore, Md., USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page