RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » RailFan » Chessie System

Author Topic: Chessie System
Tristan
Member # 182

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tristan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where the Chessie System name came from?
Posts: 2 | From: Alexandria, VA, United States | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jthoroughman
Member # 183

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jthoroughman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Chessie System" came from the original name of the railroad "Chessapeake & Ohio" which later became CSX
Posts: 1 | From: Huntington, WV, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 182

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tristan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, but I need to know why "Chessie" and the cat. Was it named after the cat? If so, who's cat was it?
Posts: 2 | From: Alexandria, VA, United States | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope some knowledgable person answers this one, as I have always wondered about that too

------------------
Alan

The perfect combination - BNSF and N Scale!

ac-models
The N Scale Andersley Western Railroad

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chessie
Member # 190

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for chessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to a publication I have from the C&OHS, the name "Chessie System" was chosen as the name for the holding company for the C&O, B&O, and WM. The name "Chessie" was given to the cuddly kitten used in the C&O advertisements from the 1930's. Check out the book "Chessie's Road" which has a full chapter detailing this info.

Chessie

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page