RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » RailFan » manpowered train

Author Topic: manpowered train
Stuart
Member # 263

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Stuart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi from the UK.
I have a train ..weight 130tonnes that I want to pull with a group of 850 people,,,how much force will be required to move it...any of you rail fans out there have any idea..approx?

Thanks for any responses

Posts: 2 | From: Staffordshire,UK | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy a loco
Posts: 56 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jezza
Member # 211

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jezza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

So long as you have brake pressure anything is possible !
You should'nt require all that much force with 850 people pulling... !

Posts: 5 | From: Caerphilly, South Wales, U.K. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try an intelligent response. Standard figure for rolling resistance is 2.5 lbs./ton of train weight, and you have to add 8 lbs. of bearing resistance per axle. You didn't say how long the train was, but given British axle loads it looks like two cars, or eight axles.

Therefore, rolling resistance is 325 lbs. and bearing resistance is 64 lbs., so you can move the train with 389 lbs. of force.

Shouldn't need anywhere near 850 people to do that. Eight should be enough.

Good luck.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stuart
Member # 263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stuart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many thanks for the Intelligent response...it was much appreciated...the train is actually in Germany and is 180 tonnes..I have discovered, but from the figures you are taliking about...limiting the force applied is going to be the issue....thanks again

Stuart

Posts: 2 | From: Staffordshire,UK | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page