RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » G Scale » Model G scale buildings

Author Topic: Model G scale buildings
Bob Crosby
Member # 24

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Crosby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone advise me about G scale model buildings? which is the best for quality, price, durability, etc, Piko, Pola, Aristocraft or others? Now for the big question, where is the cheapest place to buy?
Posts: 1 | From: Isle of Wight . U.K. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwschreyer
Member # 9

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwschreyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the plastic based buildings will eventually degrade. The best ones are scratchbuilt of materials that'll last outdoors. These materials are cement, stucco over foam, redwood and metal sidings. See link below for some examples.

------------------
- gws
Geologically Improbable Rail Road
The Large Scale Trains Page

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,
When I was modeling G scale, I always tried to use Pola. Frankly, though, I found it cheaper and a lot more fun to scratch build structures using stuff that is designed to be outdoors. I had a deal with a local lumber yard for scrap wood, broken cinder blocks etc. All of these elements can be combined to make great looking structures, at a fraction of the cost for model kits. Good luck and Happy Modeling!!
John

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Banner
Member # 36

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Banner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,
Styrene is cheap, easy to scratch build with, takes and holds paint well, and stands up for years outdoors. Take a look at the large scale construction articles at: http://members.home.net/sask.rail
Jim

Posts: 1 | From: Saskatoon, CANADA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
I'd like to know more about what you built in G using non kit materials. You know me, Just a poor banjo player.

Scott Whitfield

Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,
I've found the Aristocraft ready built structures to be quite heavy and sturdy and very reasonably priced. Check out Garden Railways Mag. for the mail order companies for best prices.

Scott Whitfield

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Crosby:
Can anyone advise me about G scale model buildings? which is the best for quality, price, durability, etc, Piko, Pola, Aristocraft or others? Now for the big question, where is the cheapest place to buy?

Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scott whitfield:
John,
I'd like to know more about what you built in G using non kit materials. You know me, Just a poor banjo player.

Scott Whitfield

Scott,
I built a small railway station using plastic components from a bird house found in a "dollar" store, scrap wood and some thin window glass that I found in a trash can !! I made the foundation out of cinder block that I broke into "scale" sized stone. These were laid in with cement (messy and expensive, but it was the best I could do at the time!!). I also built a water tank using a small piece of PVC pipe that I scored to look like wood. Don't remember what the brace bands were made of, but it was either cheap or free. The support bracing was cut to scale scrap wood, and I made the downspout from a very thin piece of sheet aluminum. I think the aluminum was hardware store stuff used to create drip lines along house roofs

I also built two houses in the same manner as the station, which gave almost a "company town" feel to the layout. I no longer have the structures as the people who bought the place had kids who fell in love with the layout...and well...I guess I'm soft when it comes to kids

The idea here is the same that I apply to the CSW: go to garage sales, thrift stores, etc. and find regular household stuff and begin thinking outside the box . Happy Modeling!!
John, the poor piper

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page