RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Misc. » Tell Me Your Favorite RR, You Model,and What Scale (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tell Me Your Favorite RR, You Model,and What Scale
tRailblazer
Member # 548

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for tRailblazer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I just started my collection: not near as advanced as some of you all. I have a humble display of about 4'x6'. I'm big on Kato Unitrack. I'm not patient and its easy to use. I'm not sticking to any particular RR. I have a double track single oval. I have a ranch theme with a Spanish style passenger depot. I run a six car Amtrak Superliner fomation on one track pulled by an f40. And a simple 10 car freight train on the other(2flatbeds, 3 tankers, 5 boxcars) pulled by a Dash 9 in the contemporary Silver and Red Santa Fe color scheme. This is all in N Scale. It's tough to get Amtrak stuff in N scale! Anyone else experience the same problem. It seems that everything comes out in N scale 5 years after its been out on HO! HO has an F59 Locomotive now! No Fair!!!
I would love to see that stuff come out in N scale. By the way, I think Kato's finally going to release the Amtrak Genesis Locomotive in N Scale sometime this year!! I love Amtrak stuff if you can't tell--I'm frustrated though they never have anything in N Scale.

Posts: 4 | From: Bakersfield, Ca. 93308 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ROBBIE
Member # 243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROBBIE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by richarddschivley:
Members: I am relatively, new to this forum and I would like to get to know some of you, better. So, why not let everyone know just exactly, what railroad you model, it's size, scale, DCC or Cab, how long you have been working on your layout, etc. I think this will be a good way to know more about us, all. Maybe, you could let us know, where you are located. I am in, North Carolina, I model HO. I have four-indivdual main-lines, so I can run, 4 trains at one time. My layout, measures:18'X 13'. I use hand-held-walkaround controls. I model, Southern RR; SP; SF; Erie; Pennsy; Erie-Lackawanna;etc.( I've got too-many to list, my wife may read this, and start asking-$$$$$, questions, AGAIN!), So, what do you say, Let's get to know each-other, better! Thanks. ......Richard :D

I model in n-scale & I have 2 ENGINES with the DCC in them, I have;

CONRAIL & C&O

The C&O I got first with the DCC controler, ordered them both from different places. At first the DCC had an internal short & we learned that the person who programed them did was not a good person so she was fired, so I got it back working ok now! So after programing & testingm I got the C&O to work with my layout. I now pull passenger trains with the engine, I am hoping to get a PENN. engine to pull my PENN. Passenger cars! I also have a 2nd DCC engine which is CONRAIL & I am using it to pull my freight cars. I run both around the track together. I do not think I want more then 2 DCC engines because the walk around looks like it can only take 2 of them. Now maybe there is a way to operate more, but I am going to have some standard engines operating as well! Now someday I plan to move & re do my layout which I call BOB'S VILLAGE!

------------------
Keep them on track :-)

Posts: 8 | From: SILVER SPRING, MD USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, forum members!!!!!! This topic has started on it's SECOND page!!! I just knew when I posted this topic, everyone would get involved! Thanks, for all the replies and for goodness sakes, KEEP 'EM COMIN'!!! Best wishes to all! May all your signals be, GREEN! ....Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Lynn from Whitehouse Tx into HO only, and model the udxz5ndtr ;os6;litfmux[ci Railroad.That means I model any thing I put my mind to. I'v got about 90 locos, Riv., Atlas LL, P2K, Athearn, IHC, Bach., Tyco, Mantua, steam and diesel and all different road names. I cover from the DeWitt Clinton and early steamer to modern diesels. I've bought some new, but most at garage sales so I'm not near as wealthy as you thought. My layout is 7'X 24' running 6 trains around at a time. I have some old towns and some newer, so I stand in front of the scenery that goes w/the age train. Enuf about me. I've got a LOT of questions, but at a later time. I'm new on computer and just learning about forums. Hope I can find this one again.
Lynn Canfield@cox-internet.com
quote:
Originally posted by richarddschivley:
Members: I am relatively, new to this forum and I would like to get to know some of you, better. So, why not let everyone know just exactly, what railroad you model, it's size, scale, DCC or Cab, how long you have been working on your layout, etc. I think this will be a good way to know more about us, all. Maybe, you could let us know, where you are located. I am in, North Carolina, I model HO. I have four-indivdual main-lines, so I can run, 4 trains at one time. My layout, measures:18'X 13'. I use hand-held-walkaround controls. I model, Southern RR; SP; SF; Erie; Pennsy; Erie-Lackawanna;etc.( I've got too-many to list, my wife may read this, and start asking-$$$$$, questions, AGAIN!), So, what do you say, Let's get to know each-other, better! Thanks. ......Richard

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LIONELBILL
Member # 630

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LIONELBILL   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bill clark here - i have lionel but also do o,on3,lionel,live steam I belong to sarasota model rail road club!!! I love trains-nothing runs like a lionel!!!!!!! bill
Posts: 2 | From: sarasota ,fla. sarasota | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
I model in HO and it's a logging layout, anyone interested can view my website at:- http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, Shamus... Thanks, for writing in this topic of the forum. You certainly have a wonderful RR!!! I didn't even get through half of the site and I was just amazed at all you have accomplished. Thanks, for sharing with us all! Richard

[This message has been edited by richarddschivley (edited 03-30-2001).]

Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS IS A TEST. MY PREVIOUS RESPONSE WAS REJECTED.SYSTEM STATED I WAS NOT REGISTERED.
Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got the green signal.
Many, many decades ago I received my first train set, an American Flyer and growing up in the Chgo rail capital made American Flyer more realistic in my mind.When I started my working career, I commuted daily on those double decker Chgo & North Western commuter
cars into downtown Chgo. I also had the opportunty to ride the CB&Q-CZ, PENNSY BROADWAY, SANTA FE -ELCAPITAN AND THE ROCK'S
ROCKET. In Jan 97, I walked into a Grand Rapids Mi HO hobby shop, thinking I knew everything about trains.
Two years later I found out that what I didn't know exceded what I did know. I underestimated both time & money and had my decimal point in the wrong place(guess thats why I flunked accounting) Four years later we
are running an freelance HO design,nyc-penn-c&o freight & passenger,late steam to diesels, mid 50's to 70's on a 17x5 and8x5 totaling 120 feet with block controls.
My wife & I are maxed out in track, so we are in the scenry stage,a downtown,farm, gravel/concrete plant.Have 60 buildings,300 people,cars and 5 single engine(non-motor)
planes=trains,planes & autombiles. Had 5 disasters with Rivarossi Steam Engines. Would like to add early amtrak new walters budd 85 footers coming out & perhaps a Bachman-Spectrum F40PH. I'm still behind the learning curve both in modeling and computer skills. This concludes my train profile, till the next whistle stop.

------------------
CHUCK

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salt Valley
Member # 685

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Salt Valley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I guess I feel like a real newbie at this train stuff. Have 3 Challager sets which I was lucky enough to pick up on the cheap. Lots of curved track (all Bachmann). Have my tables all set up and in the process of laying out my track (11 X 9).
Don't know much about the subject yet but am learning as I go. Am an HO fan, for the ease of things one can get and the modeling aspect and the freelance appeal of not having to model on any particular track system. Would appreciate any info that any deem a must. Still have basic wiring system, not electrically inclined. Toots and whistles to all.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Cochran
Member # 210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Cochran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Richard don't you think this thread has gone on long enough?
Posts: 39 | From: Canyon Country, CA 91351 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHDR
Member # 690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JHDR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's matter Bob Cochran
Ain't you got nothing to show, what a pity.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Salt Valley, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I've been diddling for about 15 years and I fewel real green. The reason, I believe, is like you, I don't model anything in particular. I know what I like to look at train wise and go from there. I can count wheels on steamers, but diesel model numbers throw me. As far as any help, the only thing right off is layng track. I get Atlas code 100 nickle-silver flex track for about $1.40 (the cheapest) and have no problems with it. I take my time and lay it VERY carefully with good connections. To me, track says it all. I had lots of loco problems until I found out a lot of it was track. Lots of ways of laying track, Dremet, nippers, solder, nails glue, etc. but thats up to you, how YOU want to do it. All this is off the subject of RR you model and all, but that is what forums are for, find out, question, and help. Lots of luck
Lynn(
quote:
Originally posted by Salt Valley:
Hello, I guess I feel like a real newbie at this train stuff. Have 3 Challager sets which I was lucky enough to pick up on the cheap. Lots of curved track (all Bachmann). Have my tables all set up and in the process of laying out my track (11 X 9).
Don't know much about the subject yet but am learning as I go. Am an HO fan, for the ease of things one can get and the modeling aspect and the freelance appeal of not having to model on any particular track system. Would appreciate any info that any deem a must. Still have basic wiring system, not electrically inclined. Toots and whistles to all.

------------------

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salt Valley
Member # 685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salt Valley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lynn, and I won't feel like the long ranger, just taken it day by day, my main industrial for this Valley that I am contructing is an old Salt Mine (brining mill) in Kansas, am using Legos for making models until I can find the apropriate kit to bash for the buildings, I want my layout to have a old to new type layout so if I want to put something I like that is old like a panhandler or old miner with his mule on the mountain it won't look to out of place. But on the other hand I want to run some newer stuff like a carny to give it a up to date look, I know it is a long haul, but will be well worth it when it is near completion(which I understand is never). Toots and whistles everyone.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For:Bob Cochran...

Why do you think this topic has gone on long enough? I'm surprised to find your comment posted here! If you don't want to come along for the ride, then don't click on this topic anymore. Up until now, I've always felt as though this forum group was one big happy family, with model railroading, the "driving" force, behind "ALL" our topics.....What's really troubling you, Bob?

...Richard

richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, so much, to all of you, who took the time to reply to this topic.
It has been a lot of fun.

Happy RR'ing, to all! May all your signals, be GREEN!

...Richard

shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Richard, thought you might like to know that part of my Badger Creek has been taken down for a re-design. More grades to climb now I hope.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus...

Every time I view your, terrific, layout...I marvel at all the time and energy, that has gone into such a wonderful piece of work!

And now you tell me you are re-working a section of the layout....

I'm sure it will be, equally, well done.

I'll look forward to watching it's progress.

You are going to allow us all, to see the work, as it goes along, aren't you??

Not only do you have a wonderful layout, the work you have put forth, on your "site" is equally, impressive!

Let me hear back from you, soon.

Your RR'ing, friend...

...Richard

Romilos
Member # 792

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Romilos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi , I come from Greece
My favourite RR's are SOU , SSW , NC&StL, B&O
all in HO , DCC or Analog.

How many buildings must I posses in order to create a realistic Coal Mine in HO ?
Pls advise

Regrds,
Romilos

Posts: 1 | From: Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Greece | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one am glad to see that this thread is still going strong. It is the best example of why the on line forums can work and support mutually interested people from all over!

Thanks again Richard!

Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caboosehop
Member # 814

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for caboosehop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There fellas. I live down under in New Zealand and have only just come on the web. My layout is sort of modular in HO. It is made that way because I exhibit it every so often. The basic size is 14feet by 14 feet but is extendable if there is room out to 14 x 30. If the occasion arises I can open it out into a straight line 80 feet long or there abouts.It is not fully sceniced as yet It has an elevated section full length which self-contained and not connected to the main lines at all.It is purely to keep the crowd interested. I built a hi-level station for that section.The rest is crontroled by MRC Controlmaster20,s I am purely freelance and run anything that takes my fancy.Happy railroading to all... JIMBO the KIWI>

[This message has been edited by caboosehop (edited 05-18-2001).]

Posts: 14 | From: Riverton, Southland, New Zealand | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Operater
Member # 74

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Operater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone, May 20th, 01, 10:30 Hrs. MDT.

In Rergards to Model Railroading. I Model in "N Scale". I also Model C.N./G.T.W./C.V. Some C.P./Soo Line, B.N. & U.P. plus a few Misc Roads - Cdn Roads.
I use the Ntrak System but am Looking also Considering the TwinTrack and the Branch
Track Concepts as Well.
Can B Reached at - grandtrunkent@hotmail.com

Thanks Everyone,

Andrew Wallice Matheson.
Calgary.

Posts: 17 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buttface
Member # 1057

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for buttface     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroad- NS, CSX, Conrail
Scale- HO

Write now it is on my bedroom floor because I moved but it is still better than nothing.

Posts: 10 | From: South River | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don K
Member # 1056

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a small 6x8 HO layout with about 40' of mainline and 30' of sidings, a dozen turnouts, reversing crossover, turntable etc. About the limit you can fit in the space I have. I have all small steam ca.1910 and love to modify and detail cheap off-the-shelf power. I am running simple block electrics with a dual powerpack and have repowered virtually everything with can motors. Because of confined space I have lots of 18" radius and some steep (4+%) grades common on logging and short lines which makes doubleheading necessary with my dozen or so engines. I went the lazy route with all Bachmann NS e-z track which gives me the option to easily modify the layout to suit my mood. The layout, while small, offers single operator continuous running and lots of yard operations. It ain't too purdy but captures most of the elements of MR ops.

Don K
F-burg VA

Posts: 2 | From: Fredericksburg VA USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennedy Model Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I build in all scales, but my own layout is a modular Sn2, built to my own standards(no other standards exist!) The modules are 2x4, with a single track set in 7" from the outside edge. I like having scenery in front of the trains, it gives a better idea of the woods these trains ran through. I model Maine 2-foot guage rr's, mostly Wiscasset&Quebec/Wiscasset, Waterville&Farmignton and Sandy river.
lots of new stuff on the market for S-I get all my stuff from Train&Trooper. I use N guage for my track, with handlaid code 83 rail. When I get to hidden track, I can just use N flextrack. So far I have one module almost done, two more started, and at least half a dozen more designed. I will be showing these starting next summer, if you are in New England area check them out.

------------------
Jared Kennedy
Kennedy Model Trains
ALCORS-11@juno.com

Posts: 61 | From: New London, CT, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris.do
Member # 1060

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for chris.do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Chris from Melbourne Australia.
My favorite railways are Victorian Steam, I'm modelling a free lance HO layout that takes up most of a 13 ft x 10 ft shed.
I work on the theroy that if I like it I run it. I'm certainly not into rivert counting.
. I do enjoy alot of the American Narrow Gauge gear but find that it becomes very expensive once it gets out here.

rdgs
Chris
from Down Under

Posts: 2 | From: melbourne Australia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy5
Member # 1062

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Richard,
This was a great topic to se what everyone is in to.I'm a newbe to model railroading being into it for less than one year. I'm into HO (I'd been talking about getting into it and my wife bought me a GP38-2 for X-Mas last year).I have a 4X8 layout because of limited space in my shop.It's just a freelance I call Luxton and have had a great time building it.This is my practice layout 'til we move into a larger place with a basement where I can build a larger one.I plan on modeling the E&N Railroad which runs up and down Vancouver Island where I live.
Look forward to reading what tips and stories everyone has
Choa,Randy.

Posts: 5 | From: Victoria,B.C. Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UP 3985
Member # 1065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UP 3985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I Model The Modern Union Pacific From North Platte, Ne to Omaha in,
HO Scale.

Garrett

Posts: 1 | From: Livermore, Ca USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plberes
Member # 1069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for plberes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rich,I model the Silverton,Gladstone& Northerly Railway in Gn3 built in set of 24" wide modules in an around the house fashion.I
model the year 1904 with 2 C-16's, the Guston Shay, a combine and four boxcars and 4 gons.The prototype only had 8 boxcars and 8 gons!I've yet to figure out if the SGN had a caboose?I just sold my Chicago & Northwes-tern On30"layout because of being able to see the Gn3a little better without my reading glasses.

Posts: 1 | From: Ekalaka,Montana,USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS, SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE KEPT THIS TOPIC GOING, SO LONG!
I MUST ADMIT... THAT I HAVE BEEN BUSY THIS YEAR WITH MY BUSINESS AND HAVEN'T HAD MUCH TIME TO CHECK BACK INTO TRAINWEB TO SEE WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON......
MY HO LAYOUT USUALLY GETS MY ATTENTION IN THE FALL AND WINTER MONTHS!
NOW, WITH FALL HERE AND WINTER, JUST AROUND THE CORNER......I'LL BE BACK AT IT, AGAIN!
PLEASE, KEEP THIS TOPIC ALIVE AND LET US ALL KNOW HOW YOUR, PARTICULAR LAYOUT, IS COMING ALONG!
REMEMBER....THE ONLY DUMB LAYOUT IS THE ONE THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA, AND MAY ALL YOUR SIGNALS BE......GREEN!!!!
YOUR FELLOW RAILROADING FRIEND,
...RICHARD

shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Richard,
Here's one of my latest digital pics.

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 10-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 10-18-2001).]

richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus...
Hello, my friend. It looks as though the Badger Creek RR is as busy as ever! Very nice photo, again!
Have you ever stepped back and tried to photograph an overall shot of your layout?
I for one, would love to see a broad view of Badger Creek.
Thanks.
...Richard

dmurphy
Member # 1120

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmurphy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!
I have a Midwest-generic 3" x 5" layout in N scale that's only two years old this February. It has two primitive cabs (cobbled together from train set transformers) that allow some minor switching and another train to roll along the main line. I do greatly enjoy using an Aristocraft wireless throttle. I swap buildings, engines and rolling stock to represent the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac RR circa 1857; a Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific branch circa 1963; and a Thomas the Tank engine layout I call the Elgin & State Line RR that is especially attractive to my 7 year old son.

Posts: 2 | From: Crystal Lake, IL USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmurphy
Member # 1120

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmurphy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few people asked me about my practice of maintaining multiple 'scenes' on one layout. I started with a LifeLike train set in N scale that had a CRI&P GP18 and some rolling stock, and was 'hooked' - after reading five years worth of Model Railroader in the local library, I sold most of my other hobby stuff to spend on a layout table on folding legs - which I stored behind the living room couch -covered with a tasteful blanket - when not in use since we didn't have a basement. Since I had to take things off and on the layout regularly, I got used to creating and tinkering with different scenes.

I've not much $ to spend on the layout so I purchased about 20-30 structures on light cardstock from an outfit called EZStructures for about $20. They have a small 'western' town, rural structures like grain elevators, rail yard structures, urban buidings, factories, etc. It took me about a year to color, cut out and glue these all together, and I swap them around on the different scenes.

In the interim, I researched more of our local rail history, bought a Bachmann old time trainset and built it up using MDC old time rolling stock. Lastly, we discovered Tomix n-scale Thomas, James & now Henry - they don't work too well on our Atlas turnouts - their flanges are a bit too deep at 1:148 scale - but visiting children love them (and I must admit I admire the Gauge 1 scale modeling on the videos).

Doug Murphy
General Manager
Elgin & State Line RR
Crystal Lake, IL

Posts: 2 | From: Crystal Lake, IL USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Just for you Richard, here's the full lot

richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend, Shamus...
Thank you, so much for the picture! The layout really looks, terrific! I knew a shot, standing back, away from it, would be wonderful. With all the detail you have incorporated into every aspect of this layout, I just knew I'd love to see the overall, shot.
Thanks, again, my friend.
...Richard
PS: One of my hobbies, is taking digital pictures of real trains around the south-eastern states. I have quite a library, of which, one particular folder has my collection of, best shots. If you would like me to email you a slideshow, please email me at: richarddschivley@person.net
Best wishes,
...Richard

[This message has been edited by richarddschivley (edited 10-25-2001).]

brakie
Member # 1131

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brakie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,I model in HO and model a short line!This short line is free lance,it is called Toledo & Southwestern.The line runs from Maumee,Ohio to Antwert,Ohio.The road owns the following:1 SW-7,2 SW1500's,2 GP-7's,4 GP-9's,2 GP-15's,1 GP-38-2.The era is 1995.Conections is made with Con-Rail,CSX,
and NS,in Toledo.

Posts: 15 | From: bucyrus ohio usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Thanks, to all who replied to this thread. It has been great hearing from all of you this past year.
It is, after all, the season for model railroading and I trust most of you are busy with your layouts!
A special THANKS, to Shamus, for those great digital photos of his WONDERFUL layout.
God Bless America and our Troops! Amen.
...Richard Schivley

alkcnw
Member # 1293

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alkcnw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
richard, Hope im not to late? Names andy kramer from camp douglas wi. I have a 5 by 7 layout in ho. Its a freelance div. of the c&nw called the HEATHER VALLEY RAILROAD. I run cnw, soo ,mr, wc, ws all wi. railroads from late 40s to early 60s, steam to diesiel. I started a 2 by 8 extension to layout. just keep adding on! been modeling railroads for about 35 years off and on. Hope to talk with you again

------------------

Posts: 17 | From: camp douglas wi. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Hi Richard,
Thought you might like to know that the original Badger Creek now no longer exists, I thought a new Badger Creek was the order of the day and I am happy to say it is well on the way. All track down, control panel made and wired, and a start with some scenery idea's have been started. Here's some photo's of how it is today.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page