RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Should Goo-Gone be used to clean track?

Author Topic: Should Goo-Gone be used to clean track?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people have told me to use Goo-Gone to clean track and wheels. It seems to work very good, but I worry that it might cause problems. I am afraid it might disolve the plastic ties or cause some other problem. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about this stuff. I would be afraid that it would build up a film on the track, causing bad wheel/rail contact. But then, I am an old fashioned guy who uses Bright Boy to clean just about everything (except plastic wheels: a good pencil erasor works well on these)! Good luck and let me know what happens, or what you decide. Happy Modeling!!
John
See my layout at: http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello John!

You made it! This looks pretty nice as far as layout is concerned. Lets see if we can get the rest of the old group to join in and make it interesting again.

I am working on getting my clubs layout posted to my ISP. As soon as I do, I'll let ya'll know.

Later
John

Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello John!

You made it! This looks pretty nice as far as layout is concerned. Lets see if we can get the rest of the old group to join in and make it interesting again.

I am working on getting my clubs layout posted to my ISP. As soon as I do, I'll let ya'll know.

Later
John

Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I"ve used it before with no apparant ill effects, Although I also prefer to use a brite-boy.....Mike

------------------
Its only money

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For loco wheels have used isopropyl alcohol on paper towels. Can power loco putting one set of trucks on track w/ power on & other set on paper towel/alcohol. Just run loco til wheels clean. If wheels real dirty shift to clean section of paper. Relatively cheap & easy.

------------------
C.A.Jon

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used goo gone and had no ill effects on ties or plastic parts. It works fairly well. Nothing works better than a brite boy. A combination of the two for outside is pretty good.
Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Goo-Gone before and had some good luck with it on really dirty track after using a bright boy. I have also cleaned the bright boy with alcohol. Doesn't seem to make any sense to use a bright boy on the track that already has dirt impregnated in it. My newest favorite product to use for track and turnout cleaning is a product called Aero-Locomotive works ACT-6006 track Cleaner,also use it for cleaning loco wheels.
Works better than anything else I've used on nickle silver.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Scott, and welcome to the new (and hopefully improved) forum!! Sounds like you have the most up-to-date cleaning products well in hand...I'll have to try the stuff!! By the way, have you heard that I am moving my layout ?? Happy Modeling!!
John

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLP161615
Member # 95

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for DLP161615     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Goo-gone and found it works really well, but there can be problems. 1)Keep it away from any painted surface that you don't want altered. 2)Avoid any kind of pooling because I've seen it stain ballast. I've never known the stuff to create build-up, but my guess is that too much of anything is bad.
Posts: 9 | From: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that good old rubbing alcohol and clean cotton rags work best. For loco wheels use the method someone described above. I will use goo-gone is the dirt is really stubborn but then I go over it again with rubbing alcohol.

------------------
AJ Y6b N&W and Conrail Fan
http://communities.msn.com/TheGRRModelRR (my page)

http://www.nvrra.org (my club's page)

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don
Member # 103

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've foumd #600 wet or dry sandpaper to work well. Wrap a piece around a small wood block & rub lengthwise. If the track is real dirty, use a drop or 2 of pt. thinner on the paper to loosen the crud. Then wipe off w/a paper towel or small cloth.
Don

Posts: 4 | From: Clarence Ctr. NY USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Coniglio
Member # 127

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Coniglio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using Goo-Gone to clean track as well as the wheels of my Alleghenies , Hudsons , Bigboys , etc. with no apparent trouble. In fact , Centerline Products , the maker of one of the more advanced track cleaning cars recommends it for use with their system . Their system relies on Goo-Gone to clean both the wheels and the track.

Sincerely ,

R. Coniglio

Posts: 6 | From: Groton , Connecticut , USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Peco track cleaning rubber (the British equivalent of a Bright Boy!) for the easily reached tracks, but run an Aztec track cleaning vehicle for the whole layout.

They make wet and dry types, the one I have is a dry type. It is quite effective if run regularly. I plan on having enough to add one in most trains, so the tracks are being regularly cleaned

------------------
Alan

The perfect combination - BNSF and N Scale!

ac-models
The N Scale Andersley Western Railroad

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnychooch
Member # 187

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for johnnychooch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a fine emery board on my loco wheels, and always run a masonite-style track cleaning device undernath one car in each consist of every train movement. When necessary, I do the rubbing alcohol thing on the track for periodic deep cleaning, probably because I know it evaporates quickly and leaves no apparent residue. The less gobeldygook used on the track, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Our club layout takes up more room than the average residence, and operates for the public 6 days a week...contact trouble just wouldn't do!

Good Luck,
John

Posts: 9 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Cochran
Member # 210

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bob Cochran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found anew product from "Micro Mark" www.micromark.com., page 82,item # 80437. It's a 240 grit cleaning block approximately 2"X3". It has worked form me quite well on Rolls Canardly & Pacfic.
What I really like about it is that it doesn't crumble kike other products and it remains soft and pliable. You don't have to use a lot of down pressure. On thatpage you will also other cleaning products.

Have Fun,
bob Cochran

Posts: 39 | From: Canyon Country, CA 91351 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Carter
Member # 212

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a member of the AMFM, MRMA, Montreal Railroad Modellers Association, we have been using Goo Gone to clean both rails and wheels for about a year now and have not come across any problems to date.
Posts: 2 | From: Montreal,Quebec, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page