RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » I am going to the modeling shop tomorrow!

Author Topic: I am going to the modeling shop tomorrow!
Anton
Member # 270

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Anton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I will be going to the hobby (modeling) store tomorrow, are there any specific questions I should ask? I already decided that I will be building my railroad in HO scale, with current technology trains. So, are there any specific questions I should asks the guys at the shop?
Thanks,
Anton

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 11-28-2000).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just start talking trains with those guys and one thing will lead to another !! I would start out by letting them know that you are just starting out and that you have been talkin' to the guys on this forum . Let em know that you are looking for a good engine in modern era styling, some good track and road bed, and of course a good power supply. Get some of the modeling books and magazines too!!. Don't feel like you need to get all of this at once, unless you have about a bzillion bucks!!! Part of the hobby is having the patience to wait until you can get the stuff you really want and need !! In fact, I would start off with an engine and the books. The engine will inspire you to keep buying what you need, and the books will begin to teach you "how to." Good luck tomarrow Anton, and may this be the beginning of a great journey for you. Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anton, Have a great time! I always make an effort to visit any RR hobby stores there are in various cities when I am traveling. Are there any Railroads around where you live? Often it is helpful (and fun) to go and watch trains you are interested in. This opens up a whole new aspect of the hobby--train spotting. If you don't that's ok because ,like John said, most of the info is in the mags' and books.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anton
Member # 270

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Anton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there is a railroad right next to my house. Freight trains pass everyday. What should I watch for?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anton,
Get out your camera, paper and pencil, check road names on the locos, what kind of freight, find out where it's headed, get a copy of the deisel spotters guide and start learning the different types of locos used on that line. Buy the way, what railroad is it? Follow the line and see where it heads. Note the type of train control signaling it uses. If your lucky enough to catch a train on a stop order, go up and ask the engineeer (staying a polite distance from the tracks, trainmen are real nervous about people getting too close unless they are invited.) what kind of loco he's running. Take note of trackside features to model on your RR. Etc,Etc,Etc. Have fun with it
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anton
Member # 270

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I got a Canadian National line running next to my house. The trains stop almost next to my house atleast 2 times a day. I followed the tracks, and it meets other line, Canadian Pacific Line.
And what do you mean take notes of the trackside features?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page