RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Is this DCC good?

Author Topic: Is this DCC good?
Anton
Member # 270

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this from the Atlas website. It is a complete system that allows you to control your trains, turn on/off lights and stuff. Here is the website: http://www.atlasrr.com/dcc/system.asp
Check it out, tell me if it is good, if I should buy it?
Thanks,
Anton

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOPAC1
Member # 80

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOPAC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had an easier answer for you, but there really is no substitute for doing your own homework. No one can tell you if any system is the "right" one for you. I would recommend that you find a hobby shop near by, or a club, and try to find out who has DCC systems, then contact them and see if they will let you operate to get a feel for it. Unless you have already operated on more than one system, you can't get a feel for the system by reading the specifications from the manufacturers. You wouldn't buy a car with out first taking a test drive. If you were simply asking if the Atlas system is good or not, it is. Every system has it's strengths and weaknesses (the more strengths you have, the higher the price). The MRC system (the cheapest) is great for a "Christmas Tree" layout, but not much more. The Atlas/Lenz system is the next step higher/pricier. The next higher would be the Digitrax "Genesis" system. It has the most features and capabilities of the three for a very reasonable price. Speaking of prices, don't pay full price - shop around! The Suggested retail of the Digitrax unit is $250.00. I got mine for $180.00! It's brave new world you're stepping into, and if you need help, feel free to e-mail me direct.
MOPAC 1

Posts: 9 | From: Garden City, KS. U.S.A. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anton, did you make it to the hobby shop?? In terms of the DCC question, MOPAC is right. There are of course other ways to run multiple trains which are less expensive than DCC and I think just as effective and fun. The most tried and true of these is the old fashioned "block" system where certain portions of track are electically isolated from each other and powered by on/off switches. This way you control trains in several blocks on the same track at the same time. If you are interested, e-mail me and I will explain in detail. My e-mail address is jcater@archaeologist.com
I know DCC is the big thing these days and if you go that way you will also be satisfied I am sure. But, for a first layout I suggest the block system because it is easy, cheap, and fun!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anton,
There is one more consideration you might have in the DCC debate. How experienced you are electronicaly. If you already have a good grasp of the basic electronincs involved in running a model rr, then DCC is probably ok to start with. But if you don't,
then a basic block control system like John is talking about is probably the better way to go. Mind you DCC is actually alot simpler to install, but I feel an electronic "newbie" can learn more about what makes a smaller rr tick (i.e. polarity current loss etc.)and therefore build on that knowledge as they progress and the layout grows,which they always seem to do(Just ask John!).
By the way did you "break the bank" at at the hobby store? In the answer to your last question; the lineside structures I was refering to are anything used(usually owned) by the rr to suport the maintanence and operation of the trains.
Have a good one,
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page