RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Table top layouts

Author Topic: Table top layouts
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the marketability of tabletop sized layouts in HO? Do folks that want train sets ever want someone else to "build" the layout for them.
Built my 13 year old one last week and had way too much fun.

Scott Whitfield
SC&PM RR

Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are whole companies dedicated to building other peoples layouts!! In fact they are often advertised in MR. So I would say yes to the question, although I can't understand it myself...for me the building is at least 60% of the fun ! Good luck and Happy Modeling!!
John
P.S.
I see that you are also a musician. E-mail me sometime and we can talk shop. I play bagpipes and Irish bodhran!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott W,
I had another thought along these same lines. Although not "marketable" per se, have you ever considered volunteering to build a railroad for a school? Kids love this sort of thing, and not only do they learn from hands on experience, you may create some new interest in the hobby. Who knows, the kids may go home and tell mom and dad and they may hire you to build a home layout too !!
Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bos
Member # 42

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in for at least 75 % of the fun is doing it yourself. Whats a bodhran?

------------------

Posts: 13 | From: Fallon, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Bos:
I'm in for at least 75 % of the fun is doing it yourself. Whats a bodhran?

Bodrhan: Irish Drum

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page