RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Ok Something is Wrong with my Dash8 loco Cupler!

Author Topic: Ok Something is Wrong with my Dash8 loco Cupler!
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Have problems with my New loco's cupler, It Wont stop causeing the car behind it to derail! My other loco is runing on the table right now non stop for over 3 hours and all 7 cars on it havent Derailed once. I Think it has something to do with the cuplers. I Have modified them to be longer, Hasnt helped . If anyone wants, il post pics of it and you guys can see the 2 locos and maybe you can tell me whats wrong with the cuplers. Please i need help! I Beg of you all!
Posts: 56 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again it could be a whole bunch of different problems!! Better post the pics and let us have a looksee!! (besides, what better excuse to see your motive power!!) Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOPAC1
Member # 80

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOPAC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dash-8 loco is a long one and will usually have this problem on tight curves. Before you begin surgery on the couplers, try changing the lead car behind the loco to see if it's the loco couplers, or the first car. It sounds like the coupler is hitting the side of the coupler box. If almost every car does the same thing, then I would try this (if you're in N-Scale); remove the Micro-Trains couple box from the loco. Disassemble. Then use a file or your cut-off disk in a moto tool to cut a notch in the both sides of the box. Try about a 1/16" at first. See if this helps or eliminates the problem. If it helps, but doesn't cure, cut out a bit more. Hope this helps, MOPAC 1
Posts: 9 | From: Garden City, KS. U.S.A. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ho scale, It happens in random parts of the track. I dont know when i can get pics. but il try soon.
Posts: 56 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrunkEngineer
Member # 245

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for DrunkEngineer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found out how to fix the problem, Its because of the Loco being so long, the Swing in the back of it causes the car to derail, The hobby store told me that this is actually known as a problem with dash8 locos. The way to fix it and what many people do about it is that you put another smaller loco behind, powered or dummy, it will hold just fine. Earlier today at the same time my mom bought me the small loco package, 2 Santa fe engines, 1 powered and 1 dummy. i have to wait till christmass them il have them runing on my train table!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page