RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Need Suggestion for a Model Train Set

Author Topic: Need Suggestion for a Model Train Set
Colleen
Member # 290

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Colleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to get a model train set for my Dad for Christmas. He used to have one and it was lost in a fire.

I know nothing about trains but, I'd like to purchase a nice set. Any suggestions on brands? Is $100-200 dollars reasonable? Where's the best place to get one?

Thank you!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colleen: there are a lot of, links off of TrainWeb site, just follow model railroading topics. Some companies which offer train sets are Atlas; Bachmann;etc;etc. Have you tried looking at the web site for: e-hobbies, or e-toys???? I am almost certain you'll find starter sets there in, HO scale, O scale,(Lionel), along with plenty of accessories. Pick-up an issue of Model Railroader magazine-there will be all kinds of ads in this publication. You can check-out another web site www.internettrains.com),they may have something you could buy online. Atlas model trains is at: www.atlasrr.com Good luck. Happy hunting/shopping!!! ....Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colleen,
First, welcome to the forum!! I think its a great thing you are doing for your dad. I tell you what, if he likes old time steam engines, for the money, the best way to go right now is the new On30 models by Bachmann Industries. These are a bit larger than HO gauge, so take a little more room for a layout, but not much. Price is in your range, but shop around on the web and local hobby stores for the best deal. The models are sold separately or as entire train sets, including track and power unit. Good luck, and Hpaay Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

[This message has been edited by jcater (edited 12-11-2000).]

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bos
Member # 42

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colleen, My Dad is getting back into this, all I can say is the larger scales are easier on his eyes. I didn't think of it until I got to talk 1 v 1 with him while fishing. It' a guy thing. Encourage him all you can, Mine's 65 now . What he's learned is priceless. I would say that money spent on a good running locomotive is the ticket. Bobby

------------------

Posts: 13 | From: Fallon, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colleen,
What a totaly cool thing to do!! My best advice would be to find a model rr specialty store in your area where he can get future products and advice(check the yellow pages under trains or model railroar, or hobbies). He can also come to this forum for advice. Buying products off the net is ok if you know what your getting into, but if he is just starting out again get him hooked up with a good dealer.
Good luck, hope to hear from both of you!.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page