RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Subroadbed??

Author Topic: Subroadbed??
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK,
I was planning on gluing cork roadbed directly to the foam board modules. Is there any reason to put subroadbed down first ?? If so, perhaps something like a light foam rubber?? I know I will need something along the main for sure, because I have abandoned the idea of using HO cork and instead will use two strips of N cork (thanks Scott, you really got me thinking about that!!). I will need to raise the main slightly, so it is above the branches. Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
My experience with the foam roadbed is limited, but what I did have convinced me I needed a "stiffener"between the foam and the cork. Also because you usually want a little more profile for the mainline. I would use the cheapest 1/4" masonite you can find and use the same templates you have for your roadbed to cut it aout at least for the main.
transitions to yards and sidings are easily done with water putty or a variety of other products.
Give me a shout if you have more questions.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Scott!! Yeah, I was thinking of homeosote, but I wanted something really light weight. I guess it woun't be too bad since there wouldn't be that much per module...Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom H
Member # 53

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered using a product called Homeabed? It is a celotex material, and is available for MOST scales. The Rochester Model RR Club that I used to belong to uses it for bot hand laid track, and for flex track, and it works great!
When I start to build my new Spring Lake RR, it is what I will use.
Keep on RR'ing & Happy Holidays

My mistake - it is not celotex, but homasote. Unevenness can be filled with joint compound that is used in building construction. Sorry about that!

[This message has been edited by Tom H (edited 01-10-2001).]

Posts: 57 | From: Hudson, Fl USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
That's the stuff I was thinking of, just could'nt remember the name !! Thanks!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foam core will also work for subroadbed. You can find this at most craft stores. It comes in various thicknesses, and once you see and use it a few times you will find tons of ways to use it......Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
Is that the stuff that has foam in the center and paper on the exterior?? The paper comes in different colors?? If so I have been considering using it also. Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep thats the stuff. Like I say once you use it a couple times youll find lots of places to use it. I have evan thought about bulding a small module with this instead of wood !....Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
Yep thats the stuff. Like I say once you use it a couple times youll find lots of places to use it. I have evan thought about bulding a small module with this instead of wood !....Mike

Yeah, I have used it for structure bases and have even built structures with it. The only problem I ever had was making sure I had a sharp enough blade to cut it!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page