RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Here we go again: DCC or No DCC??

Author Topic: Here we go again: DCC or No DCC??
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here I am, looking over the wasteland that will soon be a vast N scale railroad . By far the largest I have ever built. Meanwhile, as I stare glaze-eyed at the pike-to-be, I am thumbing through the latest MRC. Every other page has an add for DCC, and there is even an article on how to make slow starting even slower !!
Now, as most of you know, I am a died- in-the-wool, DC block running kind of guy. But then I stare at that huge layout and think, "would DCC be easier with a layout this large ??" So lets hear where you are all at in this DCC battle, yet again. Have any of you changed your tune since the last time this came up?? Help...convince me one way or the other!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Jeff=-
Member # 285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -=Jeff=-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

I may not help.. but I am leaning further and further towards DCC. I still need to check cost on toggle switches which may help boost my decision for DCC. also when I get ready to start wiring or even before track gets put down. I am leaning toward the Genesis set from Digitrax. I cannot find any good info on the Atlas set-up yet.. so those are the two I am looking at.

Posts: 23 | From: IL, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This argument again John? You know where I stand. After 20 years of block wiring and unwiring and soldering and resoldering, I switched three years ago to DCC and will never, e-e-e-v-v-v-e-e-r-r go back to block wiring again. No matter the size of the layout. Basement or bedroom closet. Its easier, simpler, much much faster to set up and run and not complicated at all. And with more manufacturers making dcc ready locos, whats the issue?
Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, One more thought. I'll make this an open invitation. If you are ever in Jacksonville FL, come by my house and I'll let you run a train with DCC control. And see how the layout runs.

Thats an open invitation to a fellow train nut!
JB

Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
I'd still like to get together with you so we could talk this through like the mature adults that we know we are. Interested in comming up to Gunnison? I'll be in Montrose on Saturday to pick up my oldest son at the Airport. Don't know if I'll have any time then. Give me a shout.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrdtrains
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mrdtrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

I live up the road from you in GJ and am in the process of installing my DCC system. I have the NCE Powerhouse Pro. I have extended an invitation to Scott to come to my home in January to take a look. If you are interested, send me an email and we can discuss off-line. My email address is: "mrdmail@usa.net". I used blocks when I modeled years ago as a kid growing up in Denver but now my son and I are working on a new layout together. When we say the benefits of DCC we decided in the very beginning it was the way to go. I bought my system from Caboose Hobbies in Denver and they provide free training on wiring your first decoder. That was time well spent and invaluable. I run diesel at the time but we are thinking of having one steam loco as well. We are using the Soundtraxx decoders for sound, and decoders from other manufacturers for motor and lighting control. I evaluated the different DCC systems earlier this year (for about 4 months) and can give you some insight into each of them. We hope to have the system fully functional by the end of the year and I've indicatedd to Scott that if he can wait until January he is welcome to take a look. We extend the same invite to you as well.

Let me know,

Michael Dove
Grand Junction, CO

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott and Michael,
I DO think that we all three should get together. I am leaving town tomarrow and won't return until the first of the year. I'll e mail you guys and maybe we can all get together. And Scott...who told you that I was a responsible adult?? My wife?? Who ever it was is on my list !!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like he took the bait, and its time to reel him in. .....Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike C (edited 12-22-2000).]

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ROBBIE
Member # 243

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ROBBIE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THUMBS UP FOR DCC, I got it & it works great! Now I got a new DCC engine & it works but now it comes with these madnect couplers that will not work with my freight cars or passenger cars.

------------------
Keep them on track :-)

Posts: 8 | From: SILVER SPRING, MD USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reality is that Digital Control Channel products are more precise, more flexible and more robust then any other type of controller for anything. Since they are now available for model railroading, it is the closest you can get to sitting in the cab of the locomotive. I do not know what the comparative cost is, but for ease of operation, installation and maintainance, you have got to admit that DCC will improve the quality of your life.

Uh perhaps I should get off the soapbox now, and no, I do not work for a DCC manufacturer, or a hobbie shop.

Regards and best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year

quote:
Originally posted by ROBBIE:
THUMBS UP FOR DCC, I got it & it works great! Now I got a new DCC engine & it works but now it comes with these madnect couplers that will not work with my freight cars or passenger cars.

Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page