RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Newbie Questions

Author Topic: Newbie Questions
gmark
Member # 339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gmark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,
I'm a newbie here and I have a few questions about this sport that I hope someone will be able to help me with.
I started out with a Bachmann On30 set with the E-Z Track. The track is great, it goes together easily with good conections, but I'm not sure it's suited for a model layout. Before I get too much money dropped into this track what should I be looking at?
I'm also interested in the best Loco's and cars. I have the Bachmann Southern & Colorado On30 and have 3 Rivarossi locos and car sets on order in HO. I'm really interested in who the best manufacturers are so I'm not wasting my money on cheap equipment.
I would really appreciate any advise.

The Mark

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work in HO scale and this is what I like. Proto 2000 by Lifelike, Bachman Spectrim, Athearn Genisis. are all good choices for locomotives and cars. Also good for cars are regular Athearn, Red Caboose, MDC. Rivrossi makes a good product also, just make sure you dont get the older runs with the deep flanges. They all had poor motors in them. Bachman is bringing out more for their On30 line, If you like the narrow guage.HTH.....Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!!
Although I currently model in N scale , I have had several HO layouts and am closely following the On30 scale, which I like very much . First, I guess you need to know how large the layout will be. If it is going to be small then the all in one track such as you got in the On30 set should be fine. If, however you are planning a moderate to large layout (and remember, someday you may want to expand a smaller layout ), then go with separate track and roadbed. As far as roadbed, I would go with cork instead of the newer rubberized stuff. Yes the rubberized stuff deadens sound, but it has enough give under the weight of the trains to cause problems. Track is entirely up to you. If your layout will be On30, then Atlas code 100 flex would be ok, but the ties are very close together for the scale. Peco makes great track, code 80, and the ties are spaced about at scale for On30. Whatever brand you decide on STICK with that brand, as some brands don't play well with others. DO NOT go with brass, use nickel silver because the track does not get corroded as easily, and still conducts electricity when dirty (less cleaning !!).

In HO engines, I like Atlas, Rivarossi, and Life-Like. I modeled early steam so I found these to be the best "out of the box" engines. I got into building MDC kits, and these I liked very much (nothin' like seeing an engine that YOU built running around the pike ). In terms of the On30 stuff, Bachmann is the best going, unless you can afford brass engines . Hope this helps, and don't be shy about asking more questions!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page