RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Trouble with Turn Table

Author Topic: Trouble with Turn Table
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am building the N scale Walthers turn table. Aside from the fact that the instructions are very poorly written, I am having trouble soldering the feeder wires to the copper slip rings at the base of the drive shaft. Soldering is one of many of my poorer skills and any help here would be great. The instructions call for soldering the wire to the LIP of the ring. This is an extremely small area. Thanks for the suggestions and Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John:I had the same problem when it came time for me to solder those wires on my, HO model!! I know you are working with a much smaller version, but this is what I did........I took a very small, round file, and made a, groove, on the inside of the collar. I laid the wire in the recessed area, after,"tinning", it-along with some liquid flux on the, groove. Carefully, heat the collar and tinned, wire and the liquid flux should cause the solder to, "run", the two, together. Because of the groove you made, if you get too much solder inside the collar and it won't slip over the shaft; simply take the round file and file out the opening on the collar until it slips over the shaft. I found this method to be a stronger soldered method than just on the very edge. My HO collar was small enough, I can imagine what your's must be like! I hope this is a help....Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great help!! So you cut the groove in the LIP of the ring (where the instructions tell to solder the wire) or inside the ring?? Also, I have solder with flux built in, but apparently I need someting additionally (maybe this was problem all along !!), what type of flux do you use?? This is what happens when you don't pay attention in wood shop (or maybe I did but its been too many years and I forgot !?!). Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John:I filed my groove on the inside of the collar, the wire is so fine, it doesn't take much of a groove. You don't have to worry about filing too deep! Use liquid flux, ONLY! I picked mine up at SEARS, "craftsman part 80063 2 fluid oz. Put a little on the wire, before you tin, and use a small paint brush dipped in the flux and apply to the collar. I went to RADIO SHACK, and bought 60/40 Rosin core; .062 dia. Part no.64-008 (1lb.). When you see how well the flux will' "run", you will think your a, "pro", at soldering. Good luck, let me know how it comes out!!!! ....Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, In my last post, I meant, "how well the solder would run", after the application of, the liquid flux. Also, try using even smaller dia. solder than what I posted earlier. The finer, the less time to heat and run!!! ......Richard
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Richard, I'll give it a try!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, Ever since I installed my turntable, I've been having trouble with, intermittent power loss to the track, on the turntable, itself. I have taken the, motor/drive, cover off several times to make sure the brass, "wipers", are making, "GOOD CONTACT", with the brass collars, on the shaft. After repeated times of doing this, I decided to put a, "dimple", in the, "wipers", where they make contact with the brass collars. "Spring", the wipers enough so they have a fair amount of tension on the collars. Mark the area on the wipers, that make contact on the collars. Remove the wipers and carefully, push a, "dimple", into the wiper, using a dull or rounded, pointed tool. I used a small, phillips-screw driver and a soft piece of wood, to push on. Make sure the, "dimple", is in the center of the wipers. Now, when you place the wipers back in place, they will ride on the, "dimple", area and make a good, electrical connection! No more problems, here!!! It's just a thought, you might not experience the same thing, I did. Let me know how the turntable, "TURNS", out!!! .....Richard
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Actually I had planned on this anyway . I think that this is a very poorly designed system, the further I get into it . I don't have the motor kit yet (how difficult to build is it ??). I like the looks of the turntable and will go with their motoring system but forsee major revamping of the electrical system in the future!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, My motor kit came with the turntable. When it comes time to assembling the motor and drives, I would suggest these things: After, test-fitting the drive axle parts, make sure the, worm gear and drive gear, at the motor and the, drive gear, at the large turntable gear, are set in their final possition with a sticky type of adhesive and not modeling glue,. The gears will not be able to, twist or shift, on the shaft, after a long period of use! Next, the motor support plates, simply fit over each end of the motor and are to be glued, to the pit, base. The axle support, on the other end, where the wipers are attached, is a little tricky, also. Once you have all these pieces lined up, glue the supports with a type of glue that will really stick to the turntable base. I used modeling glue, and it didn't hold very well. It's hard to fit the motor cover/drive cover over the supports and align all the tabs, to fit into the cover slots! This is where a really good glue, comes into play. My supports kept coming loose when I was trying to install the cover!!! All I can tell you, John is, be patient! My kit really put, "the test, on me", if you know what I mean.....With a little bit, of added, ingenuity, I'm sure you'll get along just, fine. Good luck, my modeling, buddy! ....Richard PS: Don't forget to apply a plastic, compatible grease, to the moving, gear parts.
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Thanks for the advice Richard. Sounds a bit complicated, but not beyond the realm of possibility. I don't know how long it will be before I get power, but I will pay attention to these things as I go along. Happy Modeling!
John

------------------

Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just make sure the wife and kids arent arround while putting the drive together. You wont to be giving them 'language' lessons :blush: ........Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Fortunately the wife and kids have learned that they need to be elsewhere when there is a "Daddy project" going on !! Good advice none-the-less !! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page