RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Success!!

Author Topic: Success!!
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after buying a new soldering iron, some flux and a set of "helping hands" I finally have done the impossible...I have good electrical current running through my Walthers N scale turn table !! Very, very frustrating, but the $##@!! thing works now anyhow !! Now its on the motorizong, can't wait for that fun job !! This is CLEARLY the worst system I have ever run across, with so many design flaws that I will be surprised if the turntable lasts a year. C'mon Walthers, you can do better!! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Cochran
Member # 210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Cochran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You only get what you pay for
Posts: 39 | From: Canyon Country, CA 91351 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got that right Bob, but you also pay for what you can get! Unfortunately there is no middle ground with turn tables, either they cost a dollar or a million! Unfortunately I can't pay for the upper end stuff so am pushing the upper end of the lower end and hoping for the best. Happy Modeling!
John

------------------

[This message has been edited by jcater (edited 01-12-2001).]

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Throttle_JCKY
Member # 354

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Throttle_JCKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of different names in turntables, but who makes the best one.?
I almost bought a Walthers one a few months back, just because it was the size, but after reading your trouble JCater, I don't think I am going to.!

Any names of the other brands?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Throttle_JCKY (edited 01-12-2001).]

Posts: 62 | From: HC, IN, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, John, John!!!!! What's model railroading without some trouble????? What would we all do if everything went, perfectly, all the time??? I don't know about you, but I've run across very few things related to model railroading, that didn't test your patience!!! I would probably be a, "different animal", if this hobby were a breeze......But after all, isn't over-coming obstacles, somehow rewarding??? And how about that, "feeling", we all get when we out-smart that, #X!**-X# So, John, all I can say is, "push on", what else can we do???? Good luck, with the motor and drive unit....Get yourself all, "siked-up", you'll need it! ........Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For, Bob Cochran: I don't know about John's cost for his turn-table, but I paid, $50.00, for my table. And I think that was too much for all the added work and frustration. What would you call a, "good", turn-table? And just how much is, "what you pay for"??? Best wishes, Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Throttle_JCKY:
I have heard of different names in turntables, but who makes the best one.?
I almost bought a Walthers one a few months back, just because it was the size, but after reading your trouble JCater, I don't think I am going to.!

Any names of the other brands?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Throttle_JCKY (edited 01-12-2001).]

I have been told that an excellent turntable at a reasonable cost is made by Diamond Scale Products. If interested send an e-mail to http://www.newolfe@compuserve.com
ask for a catalog with prices, and provide your snail mail address. I expect that I will use the Walthers for a while and then replace it with a Diamond Scale Turn Table. I don't know Richard, some trouble makes the hobby more interesting, but too much trouble just makes me think that I may as well be at my job! It is nice to beat the obsticles though! Happy Modeling!
John

------------------

Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats really surprising, considering that all of the cornerstone models I have built seem very well thought out . They always go together easily for me. But I guess there are always exceptions. I made a turntable from scratch many years ago, I used a block of wood with a hole drilled in the center for the table. In the hole I inserted a brass tube. the tube went into a larger size tube that was inserted into a hole in the pit. (its a slip fit). the electrical pick up was the split ring design. (the pit rail was gaped in two places) To get the power to the table I used sliding contacts on the end of the bridge instead of wheels. Detail the pit and table, and youre done. This method worked well for me and was easy to make. Hope this will help ...Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Cochran
Member # 210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Cochran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reply is for Richard. When looking at a
turntable, you have to admit it is not the simplest piece of equipment mechanical wise.
I am afraid to say that most I have seen, are either a work in progress, in the box they came in like mine or become a static display. With all the options you need to get most of them to work reliably they all
wind up to be on the high end side price wise. I got mine about 35 years ago that was
custom built for a guy that gave up in total frustration, so I picked it up for $10.00. I am glad I have kept it all these years because of all the wonderful detail parts now available in styrene, laser cut, etc. I
would be foolish to get rid of it. The person who made it really put some labor and thought into it. It includes the mounting base, motor, table platform and all. My present layout would not be large enough for
me to install it. If I remember right the cost to the original buyer was something like $85.00. I am pretty sure the person who made is either not with us in this world or doesn't produce them any more.

Bob Cochran aka BabyChoo@aol.com

Posts: 39 | From: Canyon Country, CA 91351 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I temporarily installed the turntable tonight, with the lead track to the mainline. I must admit that the model looks great . But, of course, beauty is only skin deep. I've got a line on a guy who built the same model and when it died (which it aparently did quite quickly ) he used the pit and built the rest from scratch. I have asked to look at his plans for the rebuild. I guess I will do the same thing: use it till it dies and then build a new table using parts and scratch building others. Mike, any chance I could get a schematic of your scratch build too?? One way or another this turntable is going to be operational for a long time to come !! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

slimjim375
Member # 199

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for slimjim375   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the old turntable trick. Yes, if you are going to buy one, go with the Diamond Scale ones. Myself, being cheeeeep, built my own. Getting it to look right and operate properly is like getting an MDC shay to work well .

Bowser makes turntables, but have not heard of the good, bad or ugly on them.

Later,

------------------
Jim Harrawood
Utah Rails

Posts: 21 | From: Draper, UT | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could probably draw something up if you need it John. I'd have to send it by pony express though , no scanner here. Its really prety simple and none of the dimensions are critical. Send me an e-mail if you are interested..Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jim,
Good to see you posting over here as well! I agree about the shay/turntabole comparison, althoug I got the turntable built and never even got the shay kit on the work table (It's for sale if anyone is interested!). Happy modeling!
John

------------------

slimjim375
Member # 199

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for slimjim375   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey John,

The shay is a piece of cake if you have the tools and a LOT of time . Mine has been converted to Sn3 with a V&T boiler conversion. A little more work. I probably have more time in the turntable though.

Later,

------------------
Jim Harrawood
Utah Rails

Posts: 21 | From: Draper, UT | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On two different N-Scale railroads, I have used Peco Turntables. They are extremely simple and cheap. They are very short, so long engines will not work on them (This is one of the things I like about them). I do not power them. I put gears under the table with a hand crank. It works perfect for me. I have not seen another turntable at any price that I would trade for a simple, small Peco turntable.

Dean

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Dean,
I did consider the Peco, but I have a very long 4-8-2 with tender and it would not fit the Peco table. I do like the idea of manually running the table. Unfortunately the Walthers table is supposed to be either maunual or powered, but Walthers did not bother to include the manual construction instructions with the turn table (I guess they assume you will want to spend another 24 bucks on the motorizing kit!!). All of the parts are there for manually turning it, but I haven't yet figured out how they work. Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its been years since I have even gotten close to a turntable. When I was in the Golden Gate Model Railroaders, it was always the "old timers" that knew what to do. Now I are one. Of course, most railroaders these days are Desiel guys, and think of Turntables as annacronisms (did I spell that right?). I do recall a conversation which basically stated everything you have heard before, bottom line the most reliable were the ones that were custom built. One source for the basic mechanism for the support was to use an old record player, as they had the best and strongest spindle assemblies. Of course, now it is hard to find a record player, but it is a great source for a strong spindle that is also accurate and easy to balance. Once you have that, then you can consentrate on the indexing.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
JMH,
It always helps to get advice !! I have heard of the record player trick, many years ago, before I needed to pay atention to turn tables (maybe I should have anyway, then this wouldn't be a problem now ). Anyhow, the only problem with that system IS the indexing which I understand can be a bear. But I will sure look into it!! Thanks and Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------

Bob Cochran
Member # 210

Rate Member
Pardon me,

I couldn't resist. At what speed did you run
your record turntable 16 2/3 33 1/3 45 or wow 78?

HA HA
Bob Cochran aka BabyChoo@aol.com

jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Bob,
The one' s that I have seen run at ALL of those speeds, but the most amazing thing about them is that when played in reverse, whatever train is on the turn-table at the time sings "Paul is dead..."!! Happy Modeling !!
John
(For those of you too young to remember records, you could play some backwards and get secret messages...)
------------------

[This message has been edited by jcater (edited 01-18-2001).]

JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys.... trying to have fun or what! If you use the new style motors, you can run them at a prototypical 300 miles per hour.

The purpose, if I can be so mundane, was a solid pivot and accurate turning. It was also a real solution for the larger models, as turntables for large models were in fact terrible. A good turntable, with a strong pivot and normal end supports could hold a O gauge big boy and still turn smoothly.

Some people just want to have fun. I take this seriously. Now I have to go back to my very important game of electronic darts.

(I am starting to get the hang of this)

Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
I knew you would catch on JMH !! If I could get ahold of a plan for a record player to turntable conversion I would love to try it...I was always fascinated by the concept. I remember seeing one when I was a kid at a model railroad club I visited in Denver. It was very cool!! Happy Modeling and dart tossing!!
John

------------------

JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
I don't know about a plan, but try watching "Junkyard Wars" on the TLC for some inspiration. I think it will take a dremel cutter and wheel puller to get the basic mechanism and "base" for the turning (rotating) part of the table to use as a platform for the modeling. I will try to get some more detail from some of the "older" guys I know. I am getting older just thinking about this.... Last night I took some time to search through my collection of decals and dry transfers to find the CDS lettering I had for a On3 project I started twenty two years ago. I took an older Balboa RGS 20 and modified and super detailed it to be a more accurate model. I learned to micro weld and solder using different soldering temps. After two years of hard work I was proud of the result, just about the time some new manufacuturer released a new model that I could have just bought. After I preped it, primered it and painted and lettered the tender, it was damaged by an accident. ( an over loaded book shelf fell on it). I vowed never to spend so much time on one model. I couldn't even look at it after discovering that it would take significant assistance to repair the boiler, which had partially collapsed. Finally, in 1999, I found someone who could help, and he finally finished the repair in December. Long way around to getting to finding the lettering (so the model could be finished finally!). What I enjoyed was re-discovering all of the neat stuff I had put away over the years. I am finally getting the stuff back into the light.

Regards

jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
JMH,
First let me say I am glad that you finally had the model repaired. I know that I have been in the same boat (I got hold of a basket case at a train show, spent 122 hours re-buiding it, another 20 or so hours painting it and detailing it only to have it derail after a month or so, falling to a cement floor and exploding. It still sits in the junk box). It is a labor of love. Yes, somebody came out with one you could have bought, but you BUILT this one which in my book makes it 100% better than any outta the box loco.
You are right about stuff seeing the light of day. When my middle boy convinced me to get back into model railroading (funny I got in for his sake, now he is more interested in girls than trains, but there is still my 4-year-old who thinks trains are the coolest thing going), I found stuff that I forgot all about ever owning. Man it was like Christmas in July!! That was over 5 years ago now, and I am still pulling surprises out of the boxes-o-stuff. Happy Modeling!!
John
PS
the music truntable to train turntable sounds like a great Dremel project. My Dremel itches for just such undertakings!!

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page