RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Should Kadee uncoupling magnets be cut?

Author Topic: Should Kadee uncoupling magnets be cut?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning to instal some Kadee uncoupling magnets on my N-scale railroad. Some book I have read recommend cutting them in half. One person I talked to cut his into thirds. I would like to know what some of you think about this.

Thank you
Dean

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bos
Member # 42

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Bos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,Dean. I've done it in H.O. scale (in half) , and it worked OK. The hassle was cutting the steel plate. But with a hacksaw and patience I got through it. It worked fine. Maybe experiment with it to find out how small it can be. Good Luck and have fun.Bobby

------------------

Posts: 13 | From: Fallon, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dean,
I don't know about cutting them, but I'v used ones that have broken in half and they've worked for years.
Scott Whitfield

Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dean,
You can cut the magnets in half. I reccomend using a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool but ONLY USE THE HIGHEST QUALITY YOU CAN GET!!!The cut off disks that come with a Dremel are not good enough. The is a brand called "The Good Ones" that will cut steel and ferromagnetic materials. USE GOGGLES! I'm usuallu the worst about safety equipment but this is one procedure that I always go find the old safety goggles for.
Model on,
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bos
Member # 42

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Scott, The Good Ones is a great product. Let's all promise to use safety gear! (woulda, shoulda , coulda) ,THANX Scott! Bobby
Posts: 13 | From: Fallon, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page