RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » RADIUS FOR MAC 90 ON HOME LAYOUT ?

Author Topic: RADIUS FOR MAC 90 ON HOME LAYOUT ?
lark
Member # 446

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will be starting a home layout and will be running MAC 90's. No one in my area runs such equipment. Using 3rd PlanIt to design the layout and have a few 30" curves and would like to hear from anyone that could offer advice. I'm not a prototypical nut, however I don't want these things to look stupid after my design is done and bench work started. Layout is considred to be club sized, so if anyone from private/club individual with anything to offer would be helpful...lark@sky.net
Posts: 5 | From: lee's summit, mo usa | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Throttle_JCKY
Member # 354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Throttle_JCKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have planned all my curves to be no less then 34", I have several C44-9W's and they bite hard on the 30" curve I have, alot of times derailing the lead wheels.

Posts: 62 | From: HC, IN, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lark
Member # 446

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TO: THROTTLE JCKY; DO YOU YOU USE EASEMENTS FOR ALL YOUR CURVES. I HAVE SEVERAL 44'S AS WELL AN DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS ON MY LAST LAYOUT.
Posts: 5 | From: lee's summit, mo usa | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Throttle_JCKY
Member # 354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Throttle_JCKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lark,
After closer examination, I found why the C44-9W's where having a rough go at it in the curve.! The outside rail on the curve had pulled up about an 1/16" or so. This was letting the rail lay in, and in turn that is how the "Bite" was occuring. Since I took the time to fix this problem, all is well. That is also the first time that has ever happened to me. The entire layout was like that.!

Posts: 62 | From: HC, IN, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lark
Member # 446

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Throttle_JCKY:
Lark,
After closer examination, I found why the C44-9W's where having a rough go at it in the curve.! The outside rail on the curve had pulled up about an 1/16" or so. This was letting the rail lay in, and in turn that is how the "Bite" was occuring. Since I took the time to fix this problem, all is well. That is also the first time that has ever happened to me. The entire layout was like that.!

lark
Member # 446

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Throttle_JCKY:
Lark,

lark
Member # 446

Rate Member
Throttle jcky, just happened to get an e-mail from a club on the east coast that stated they normally use 48" curves and that 40" to 32" inch curves should be fine, although a may want to see how they look at the smaller curve. I'm starting to see some progress in information, however it appears that after looking over the web I have asked a rather difficult question as my layout is fairly large in size and it may be that not to many folks can offer help as MAC 90's are not yet common. I suspect this will change when KATO comes out with their engine in a few months. Thanks for your help....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page