RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Basic HO Layout design

Author Topic: Basic HO Layout design
richy
Member # 269

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for richy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am setting up my HO layout in approx. 10'x10' room. The layout will be approximately 36" deep, around the walls.

My plan now is to use rigid foam insulation for the sub-bed and cork roadbed. I will probably use Atlas Code 100 flextrack and Atlas turnouts.

Questions:

How much space is required for a 180 degree turn?

Can anyone suggest basic tools that are needed?

Posts: 8 | From: Carnation, WA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richy...Depending on the length of locomotives and cars you will be running, will determine the radius you'll need. The smallest radius I'd suggest is, 18inches. I would allow an even larger radius of 22inches, in the event, later on in your modeling progress, you should want to run 3-truck or even 4-truck engines. These type of locomotives with trucks this long, will not run on a 18inch or smaller radius. Get your self a wooden yard stick, and make an 1/8" hole in the middle of it, at the 1" mark. Then go to the desired radius you want to layout, Example: a 22" radius would require another 1/8" hole at 23"line on your yard stick. Take a small nail and drive it in at the 1" hole you made previously, then insert a sharp pencil tip through the hole at 23" point, rotate the yard stick 180 degrees and you have a perfect 22" radius. Of course, when I did this, I was doing the radius outlines on a 5/8" 4'X 8' plywood sheet. You really need to pick up some track and bench work, how-to, books from Kalmbach Publishing, if you want to carefully consider all there is to think about before you get too far. After all, all of the planning and procedures have been worked out by others, so you won't have to worry about making any serious mistakes. If you want to have a reliable, track-work layout, study on it first, before you just, jump right in! Try not and use switches any lower than a #6. Stay away from Atlas snap-switches, consider, ground-throw(manual), or under the table-control, switches. Good luck and take your time, if you do this, it will make for a much more reliable and enjoyable layout. The telephone no. for Kalmbach Publishing is: 1-800-533-6644 (Study,study,study!!) Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radius is an interesting topic. You need to consider what you will be running, as Richard suggested. If it is a branch line operation, then small locos, either steam or desiel will work with a tighter radius. If it is main line and passenger, or other 80' long cars then you may have to go to 36" or even 42" for prototypical looking radius. I always hated the loog of the middle of a car hanging over the adjoining rail.

I myslef have looked for a simple solution for my branch line On3 layout, under consideration. I was hoping for a minimum of 24", but it just wont work. 36" will be my minimum, with as tight as 30" for spurs.

I used a string with markings tied to pencil to acheive the results that Richard suggested. I also recommend study and experiment before finishing the plan and begining construction. You have to consider clearances and other spacing issues as well.

ood luck!

Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Booly15
Member # 415

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Booly15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning my HO layout at this time and I am looking at 24" minimum radius. I plan on a 1950's setting with steam and early diesel. I have a basic layout scheme already. What do you guys think? 24 good enough, I don't see me running 80' cars as they really don't interest me.
Posts: 5 | From: Long Island NY USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Booly....Sounds good to me. "Whatever trips your trigger". On my layout, I have 4 mainlines, 21", 23", 25", and 28". I can run any type of engine or consist, on these radiuses. Happy modeling, boys. Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page