RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Next step in first layout

Author Topic: Next step in first layout
richy
Member # 269

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for richy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I have built benchwork and subroadbed. I'm now ready to begin layout. I'm planning to design the track layout and streets and roads, then actually install the roadbed and track so I can get the train moving. Then, I will start work on scenery etc. Does this make sense?
Posts: 8 | From: Carnation, WA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfezebras
Member # 420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfezebras     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes great sense to me. I've been modeling over 20 years now and have always planned the track and just put in the roads wherever they fit. I guess I'll never learn. I once had a roundhouse with no way for the workers to get to it, let alone park their vehicles when they got there!
Posts: 14 | From: newton kansas usa | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thinking is that you should first have a location, which leads to a reason for a railroad and then the terrain should lead to the "how to" of what you build where. In otherwords, if you need a bridge to get from one place to another.... or if you need to level a hill, or take a side out to put in say a roundhouse, then you should demonstrate that. I guess if you just want to run the trains, that is cool too.
Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richy,
Is your layout a "tabletop" type so far? If so you leave yourself many options for track plan, but you do limit yourself somewhat as to landscaping possibilities. If you are modeling a "water level route" like in a river valley or along a marshy coastline the tabletop will work out fine. How big is your pike?
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page