RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Roads for scenery

Author Topic: Roads for scenery
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any good ideas for making roads for scenery on an O-27 layout? (Car/Truck/vehicle type) Materials, where to purchase, cost, etc?
Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKL
Member # 418

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for WKL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that "Moondog" the company that makes the rubber rail ties, makes a sheet rubber for making roads. I have not tryed it.

On my old layout, I used a paint that I bought at the craft store. It was available in a dark gray. The paint had a sandy texture to it when dry. On its own it was a little too even, but when dusted over with powdered chalk of various earth tones it was really nice looking. Add a few "cracks" in the pavement with a black fine tip marker. If you want to build up the roadbed a bit, start with a "foundation" of artist's bristol board.

Sorry I cant remember the brand of the paint. I'll Look around my train room-- if I find it, I'll post it to you in a few days.

Good luck!

Posts: 4 | From: Andover, NJ, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have any skill with a drawing program you can make roads on your computer. You make sections of road not unlike sections of track. Just draw the lines you need, including shoulders, crosswalks, double yellow lines, etc, on a grey background. You can make curves too. Then print it, cut it out and glue the roads down.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page