RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Anyone install DCC in athearns?

Author Topic: Anyone install DCC in athearns?
Throttle_JCKY
Member # 354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Throttle_JCKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if anyone here has installed a decoder in an Athearn? Today I got my final set of C44-9W's in from the hobby shop and was looking at how I could do it. With the frame being used as a carrier it seems to be a tough task to take on. Any suggestions.

Posts: 62 | From: HC, IN, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Jeff=-
Member # 285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -=Jeff=-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in process on the decoder install.. the motor is wired but I need to get the lighting taken care of. This is on a SD40-2 (I bought the Loco back in 88)

I have the decoder hanging out the brake hatch.

I also converted the motor to a NWSL one..

My next Athearn is getting a A-line motor

Posts: 23 | From: IL, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orangecrush
Member # 335

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for orangecrush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a few years but the first one I did was the worst one. I connected the wires per instructons but they don't mention that you need to remove the motor and cover the silver strip on the bottom of the chassis to keep from damaging the decoder.
Posts: 2 | From: manhattan, ks, 66502 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Throttle_JCKY
Member # 354

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Throttle_JCKY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff,
What size NWSL motor did you use. I have been thinking of remotoring my Athearns, but I don't know what size fits the best. My local hobbyshop doesn't stock them, and they didn't really know what size.

Posts: 62 | From: HC, IN, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Jeff=-
Member # 285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -=Jeff=-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part # 1634 is the SD40-2 Repower kit. I bought Direct from NWSL. I also bought their wheels. their website is http://www.nwsl.com

My next conversion will be using the A-Line kit. I want to see which is better. I am actually taking a SD40-2 Dummy and converting it to a power one

[This message has been edited by -=Jeff=- (edited 02-14-2001).]

Posts: 23 | From: IL, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page