RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Wheel Cleaning

Author Topic: Wheel Cleaning
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd pass this along,
Far a long time I looked for a non-abrasive scrubbing device for my loco wheels. Then I ran accros using a cotton swab but in an unconventional manner. Take the swab with the paper type stem and cut it in two at a severe agle right in the middle. You wind up with two, sharp on one end and cotton swab on the other end wheel cleaning tools. Then just put your loco in a cradle put power to it and use your favorite cleaning solution.
The sharp end is strong enough to get the gunk off the wheels but will not ruin the finish of the contact surface.
Give it a try it's worked great for me.
Steam Lives,
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Cochran
Member # 210

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Cochran     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scott,

GREAT TIP on wheel cleaning. Going to try it real soon.

Thanks,
Bob Cochran

Posts: 39 | From: Canyon Country, CA 91351 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good idea is to replace all the weelsets on your cars with metal ones. Plastic wheels tend to acculmulate gunk, and spred it on the rails. metal wheels dont seem to have this problem. It works well enough for me that I rarely clean track or wheels....HTH.......Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SD7
Member # 157

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SD7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey,
I use Rubbing Alcohol on a paper towel and run the locomotive over the wet part and then run it over a dry part. Takes the dirt right off and makes the contact much better. You can also use WD40 and do the same process. Good luck and Happy Modeling! -Jack

Posts: 14 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtual-bird
Member # 37

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for virtual-bird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
Plastic wheels tend to acculmulate gunk...

And metal wheels dont acculmulate crap?

Best way is to clean the track prior to a running session, and then to clean the wheels after each session...!

------------------
RR:
K, C, & Bird Butt Railroad - SP, NS, and ROCK admirer. Its a coal mining region of a place far far away, that shares with SP, NS, and some CSX..
Also some Custom RARE Bird RR sd40-2's coming!
Era:

Time stands still round these parts, and we have everything from Steam, to Diesels of today.

Posts: 32 | From: sydney aussie | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Mike C:
Plastic wheels tend to acculmulate gunk...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VB, there seems to be something about plastic wheels that make them more sussectible to picking up gunk. I can only go by my experience here, but IMO metal wheels dont have his problem. I suppose a lot has to do with where the layout is located. Mine is in a more or less finished basement, and there is no somking allowed. I very rarely clean my mainline, and so far in 3 years have never cleaned my wheels. The only dirt problem I have is on the little used sidings that collect dust. these I can just wipe off before use.....Mike

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page