RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » How do you connect Atlas Flextrack?

Author Topic: How do you connect Atlas Flextrack?
richy
Member # 269

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for richy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting ready to use Atlas flextrack in my first layout and its not obvious to me how you connect flextrack. the connectors don't fit between the track and ties. Do you cut out the tie?
Posts: 8 | From: Carnation, WA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes cut the ties where nessassary. then after the track is connected replace the ties after trimming off the spike detials...Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And another trick..if you are taking the flex track around a curve, say a 22" radius turn, solder the two tracks together at the rail joints AFTER making sure that the floating rails for both pieces are on the inside of the curve. When you bend the track around, one rail will be shorter than the other. But you simply tack it down then cut the longer rail back. The soldered joints will give you a very nice smooth connection without a kink. Depending on how tight the curve is, you may have to trim the tie details back several inches. I use a very sharp x-acto and cut very carefully.
Enjoy

John

Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shay2
Member # 553

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Shay2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Richy,
If you use an electric Dremel tool with a cut off disk, which most hardware's carry for as little as $15.00, cutting rails and tie's and trimming to fit is a snap.
I just finished my layout using Flex trac and found it very easy to work with.
Another trick you might use is to slide the "moveable" rail back a few inches, exposing just the tie's, on one side. Then slide the joining rail from the next track section into those tie's. What you end up with is a staggered joint, so that the end of each rail isn't directly across from the other. This will give strenth to the connected track pieces and works really well when making a smooth curve.
I waited till I had the track thumb-tacked down in a few places before soldering. Then I soldered it. Remember if you use solder,(and its not necessary) don't get any on the inside of the rail as it may interfere with the flange of the wheels.
Also, depending on your bench material you may need to allow for expansion and contraction and nailing and soldering every joint might cause track buckling. I left every third section unsoldered and just used track joiners.
Good luck,
Rich

Posts: 12 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other point. If you fully solder and get solder on the inside rail, just use that same Dremel tool with the cutting disk to grind the solder down to match the rail shape on the inside.
Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page