RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Design Quandary

Author Topic: Design Quandary
aaman
Member # 565

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for aaman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When trying to model a specific scene, would you rather compromise by adding 25 feet of hidden track or just accept the fact that real-life "North" will have to become model "South?" I have a prototype scene nailed perfectly in my design, but it's "backwards" in geographic layout. I can get it geographically correct by adding about 25 feet of hidden track, but this adds cost and undesired complexity. Any thoughts?
Posts: 3 | From: Saline, MI USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMH
Member # 331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure exactly what your problem is from the description, but if what you are referring to is that the north side of the scene is facing south then you are just like the real railroads... Huh you say? Well, in my experience, a railroad main line is designated as north or south, depending upon the direction from the main final destinations. For example, if the final destination of the Southern Pacific is(was?) Oakland as a terminal, then any train running to Oakland was going west. This included the trains heading south from Portland and North from Bakersfield. Frankly, in modeling, you can rationalise anything. Directions, or hidden track. My theroy is that the layout should be based upon a real and logical design having to due with the reason for the railroad in the first place. In otherwords, you have a bridge, if you need to cross a gap.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 62 | From: Carmel, Indiana, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aaman
Member # 565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aaman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply. I'm modeling the Ann Arbor RR, a unique carrier in that they designated the route as an East-West line. I am modeling an interchange (w/C&O) in Clare, MI that had an unusual dual-RR depot that faced the diamonds. When looking at the depot from the tracks, trains departing to the right were east-bound and departing to the left were westbound. In order to maximize the visual interest of the modeled scene (i.e. so the xing was in front) the right hand departure is west-bound and the left hand departure is eastbound... exactly opposite of how the tracks are oriented in real-life. I can fix the directional problem by adding hidden track, but I have learned that hidden track becomes a maintenance problem and would like to avoid this. But I'm also striving for some prototypical realism, so something has to give. I'm just trying to get a feel for what other modelers think.
Posts: 3 | From: Saline, MI USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think it will really matter in the long run. I agree that the extra trackage probably isnt worthwhile. Many layouts are built with mirror image sceans. But when someone looks at it and says , hey I've been there, that makes it all worthwile to me...Mike
Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page