RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Niagara Colors

Author Topic: Niagara Colors
John Peters
Member # 428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Peters     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello group, I'm forwarding this message from a friend of mine looking for some NYC info. Dont know if he's hit any of the other forums yet.

John

Hi,

I'm looking for information concerning the correct colors of the circular herald and rectangular numberplate on the front of NYC steam locomotives, Niagaras specifically.
In the color photos that I've seen the plate
appears as silver on a black background, while on models and paintings it
often is represented as white on a red background.

any help in nailing down what the NYC's practice was and the
associated dates is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank W. Smith

[This message has been edited by John Peters (edited 03-08-2001).]

Posts: 4 | From: detroit, mi, usa | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom H
Member # 53

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a former telegrapher on the NYC from 1953-1957, the colors I remember were silver or graphite on a black backround. I do not remember any with a red backround, altho it is possible.
As an aside, the last passenger train westbound out of Rochester NY with steam power was train # 9 with Niagara # 6009 on the point. I used to have a photo of it, but in moving a lot of stuff has come up missing.

Posts: 57 | From: Hudson, Fl USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page