RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Mountain Building

Author Topic: Mountain Building
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone out there have any experience with a product called "Mountains in Minutes"? I'm playing with some different mountain building ideas, although I've always built in hydrocal and screen wire, I'm wondering if there is a better way.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NVTiny
Member # 45

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for NVTiny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not used 'Mountains in minutes', BUT..

I spent over 30 years using Hydrocal with paper towels, applyed over piles of newpaper crumpled up in shape of mountain, I then sprayed this paper mountain with a liquid soap and water mix [3 drops of soap to pint of water]...

I applyed 3 or 4 layers of paper towels/hydrocal, when I pulled the news-papers out, this made a light, but strong mountain. Then Rock castings were added to this where needed.

I had 5 Layouts done this way...

I now make my mountains out of real ROCKS
and sand. But them I'm now out doors in LS trains
[^]

------------------
NVTiny
Desert Springs & Rattler Gap Railroad
http://www.trainweb.org/dsrg/dsrg.htm

Posts: 23 | From: Silver Springs, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foam is definately better IMO and lighter. I dont use mountains in Minutes, but something similar. What I use is expanded styrofoam used for building insulation. Just stack it up and carve it to the desired shape. Easy!! After its carved you can apply a thin coat of plaster, or other lite weight coatings. Using foam makes planting trees a breeze too.....Mike

------------------
Its only money

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,
As you know, the CSW is situated in a very mountainous area of Colorado . I have used several products over the years (including one I really liked from a train show, but can no longer find ) but never tried mountains in minutes. Whenever I build scenery of any kind I look at several factors: realism achieved, cost, durability, and repairability. The last of these is important, since I have limited access to hobby supplies . After weighing the options, I built the CSW in the tried and true method of cardboard webbing with plaster soaked paper towels. Yes, it is heavy, but it is durable and easily repaired with a trip to the hardware store. Plaster is also the cheapest building material I have yet found. Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page