RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » how much can a 4x8 HO layout be sold for??

Author Topic: how much can a 4x8 HO layout be sold for??
SD40-2
Member # 767

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for SD40-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I joined a model train club and omg, they had a huge layout!!! must of been at least a 3 quarters of a mile of track on it HO! After i saw and played with it with all the fancy decoder stuff, I have totally lost interest in my layout. so, how much can a train table ho 4x8 layout be sold for? includeing all cars, 1 dummy F7A SF and a BNSF Dash8 40C bachmann. I will try to get pictures soon of the layout.
Posts: 20 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JDRumley
Member # 625

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDRumley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck.
Posts: 12 | From: Salem | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SD40-2
Member # 767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SD40-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm k, can anybody give me a actuall answer now please? like a price or something, Thanks
Posts: 20 | From: Sonoma CA USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgaeth
Member # 297

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgaeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SD40-2

What you have there is not worth much more than a value on the used market of $5-10.

My suggestion is to take and post pictures at local hobby shop. Keep in mind that if it has any value it will be from someone in your area. Otherwise it appears that if the Bachmann is your pride and joy it has very lettle value.

Best to enjoy the club and learn from it. I am not trying to be mean spirited but giving a touch of reality.

Mark G
Decatur, IN

Posts: 7 | From: Decatur, IN, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SD40-2, There are too many variables to give a number. Is the one loco and dummy all for front train service? Or do you have more locos? How many cars? How much track and switches? Is it all landscaped? Lots of bldgs? All this must be taken into consideration to get a value. I'm not a pro, but I've bought most my stuff used, bldgs and all, so I'll TRY to help if I can. Give me a bit more to work on .

Lynn

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SD40-2
Member # 767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SD40-2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 switches, 1 track crossing, mostly built of flex track, some landscapeing but not much, also has signal lights powered red green and yellow, 2 of those. mostly cork roadbed. about 22 or 23 some cars, a Dummy F7A SF, and Bachmann spectrum Dash8 40C 12 wheels, also forgot to add the cheap crappy bachmann SF F7A 4wheel drive loco which will be included. My other engines are Athears and decoders will be installed in them which will be going to the trainclub are 1 GP40 SantaFe unit, and 1 BNSF orange and green Dash9 C44 9W, and 1 SantaFe GP40 Dummy. I was hopeing at least $100 but if I cannot sell it for that then I'll just keep it.

oh and here is a very crappy drawing i did of my layout, it will only give you an idea of what it looks like http://server3006.freeyellow.com/johngrimz/layout.jpg get back to me soon!

lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to do you some good. If the cars are Tyco or Model Power, and run of the mill kind, I figure .75-1.00 ea. Athearn brand, $2-3 ea. Special kinds, cranes and tenders for them, $5-7. I looked at your track layout and you must have 20-30 pieces of flex track. If it is NS, figure $1.50-2.00 ea including cork. 7 switches, $2-4 depending on brand. Signal lights, ??? I don't know. Dummy loco, $3-5, reg Bachmann loco, $6-9, and the spectrum, $15-20. I don't know how that figures out, but I think $100 is a good price. Figuring the plywood also, I don't think I'd come off that price much, if at all. I'd try an ad in the paper, or bulletin boards, where fathers and kids can see it. It is ideal for a father/son project, and a REAL CHEAP way for them to get going.
All this is my own personal opinion, and forty-leven guys can jump on me, but this is the best I can offer. Also, consider that even tho you're in a club, you may want your own scene and regret selling. So, take this for what it's worth, and good luck.

Lynn

------------------

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennedy Model Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not use this layout as a base to continue building on? Whenever I build a layout for myself, it usually gets re-built three or four times. Everybody does this. You can't take someone elses module and scenery and say "I think that house would look better there", and go ahead and move it. Your best bet is to keep the layout, and improve on it. Hone your skills, and learn new ones. Try a few new scenery methods before you use them at the club. It's a good tool for learning.

------------------
Jared Kennedy
Kennedy Model Trains
ALCORS-11@juno.com

Posts: 61 | From: New London, CT, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page