RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » The saga continues

Author Topic: The saga continues
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are three more photo's

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 06-25-2001).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus...

Always wondered how the "old-timers" loaded a log car. Now, I see!!

Your details are wonderful!

Are you getting enough time to run the trains?

You know what they say about, "all work and no play"...............

What type of digital camera, do you use? Resolution?

Your friend, in North Carolina,

...Richard

Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hy Richard,

[quote]What type of digital camera, do you use? Resolution? [quote]

Only a very cheap fujifilm with X-6 zoom, has flash overdride and auto exposure, but thats it. Will be using my 35mm for better photo's later, just used this to get some pics on the web.

cheers
Shamus

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Shamus, I've been following your exploits for several months now, and I never cease to be amazed. I think I got in on the act about the time you and Shay2 were discussing the galloping goose. I've made a couple of them, but I don't think they hit your standards , tho. You're layout is fantastic. You have probably said in the past, and I missed it or forgot. What is the size, or dimensions of your layout? Keep those pix coming, they give me the impetis I need to keep going

Lynn

quote:
Originally posted by shamus:
Here are three more photo's

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 06-25-2001).]

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lynn, Looks like I have found another friend in the logging side.
My room size is 14' by 11' in a spare bedroom.
You say you have made two Galloping Geese, love to see a photo of them, any chance.

cheers friend
Shamus

lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus, not for a while yet, my lad. I've got a scanner, but don't know how to use it. I'll probably get a digital camera, but then 2 years to learn how to use it, then 2 1/2 to find out how to put the pix in, I'll probably be watching grass grow from the root side by then.
I used the same system as Shay2 did on my Galloping Geese, Bachman motor with pickup on the drive wheels, front end of an old model car, and a shack from a crane tender car. I'm not happy with the front wheels. I used trucks from a caboose, but the Goose has wheels without the outer springs. I bashed a couple, but I'm not happy with them. Things will have to go on hold for a while. All my trains are in an outbuilding, upstairs. I've got to start building from scratch, and move it all downstairs. My present layout is 7X24 feet, with trackage to run 6 trains at a time. One is 75-80 cars long pulled by one loco. I'll probably keep this layout as is because it thrills kids to see stuff like that. I enjoy building, but I like to use it to get them interested in modeling. If I can get my next rig to look 1/2 as good as yours, I'll sure feel successful
Keep those pix coming so I can stay enthused
Regards
Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris.d
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chris.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Shamus
Great looking layout you've got there.
A couple of the photos have given me some ideas. Time to pull up some scenery and redo the detail. Keep up the good work.

Chris from Down Under

Posts: 8 | From: melbourne australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Hi Chris,
You into HO logging as well?
If you want to see all my photo's, they are on my website, feel free to download what you want.

cheers
Shamus

Nobby
Member # 881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus - I was surfing your website yet again this morning and one image in particular caught my eye. It shows Shay #5 crossing a trestle above a waterfalls. My question is: Do you have an outline somewhere, of how you built the waterfalls? What did you use for water in that terrific scene?

------------------
Bill Clark;
Edson, Alberta
http://www.vennercs.com/users/aww/

Posts: 5 | From: Edson, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Hi Bill,
Here is another view of it.
The waterfall was first constructed using hardboard for the main run down, then plaster was added to create the effect of smooth rocks where water had fallen, then it was painted. To finish it off I inlaid glass fibre, and poured clear yacht varnish down it a few times. (Making sure I caught the drips) when dry I used a knife to scrape the glass fibre to represent flowing water.

Shamus

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 06-30-2001).]

Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus,

That's some nice work there. Where did you get your backdrop and large trees from?
Just curious...

Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jesse,
Thanks friend.
The trees were all scratchbuilt, (Article on how to build them on Badger Creek)
The backdrop was painted.

Shamus

chris.d
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chris.d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Shamus
Yes I am in HO. Very freelance. But one of the branchlines off the layout runs to a sawmill scene and at the other end of the layout to a logging camp.

Chris from Down Under.

Posts: 8 | From: melbourne australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page