RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Can anyone help me out with some info about model trains

Author Topic: Can anyone help me out with some info about model trains
Crusher17801
Member # 965

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crusher17801     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll looking at getting into the hobby, is there anything I should be aware of with the hobby? I would like to get into small race cars as well. Any help. Any good sites where I can find some info?

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Model Railroading is a nice hobby to get involved in. There are many aspects to it.

My main advice is to do a lot of planning ahead. buy some books about model railroading. Most large libraries have a lot of model railroad books. Read a lot and get ideas about what you like the most. You may also want to visit some model railroad clubs. Most clubs welcome visitors, and most club members are very happy about sharing ideas and giving suggestions.

I think the most important decision to make is what scale to use. Using myself as an example, I will explain. The most enjoyable aspect of model railroading to me is operations. I use timetables, waybills, etc. Every car on every train has a reason for being there. Some people are more interested in scenery, or scratch building for example. I use N-scale, because I can fit a lot more track into my alotted space. With realistic operations, I want a long mainline. For those more interested in scenery and detailing, they would probably prefer HO-scale since it is easier to put a lot more detail into it than in N-scale.

There are hundreds of questions and answers. You have to find out what you want to do. Do not rush into it. Read a lot, ask questions, and think about it.

Welcome to the hobby and Happy Railroading

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the previous respondent said!take your time-do your homework! I knew a lot about real trains and a little about American Flyer.After 18 months in HO, I discovered what I didn't know exceded what I did know and thru these forums we all continue to learn. Members will share with you their experience,knowledge, wisdom,& $$mistakes.
You will be able to piggy back off our success and save a few bucks. WELCOME

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebradley
Member # 606

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jebradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read and REREAD the above two replies - they're excellent. Model railoading is a great lifelong hobby which can be shared with children, relatives, and community, esp. youth. You'll need two of these three -space, time, and money; how much of each of course is the trick. Saving time will cost much money - save money by building yourself, esp. structures, and by settling for solid quality (in HO, that's Athearn and MDC) not the cheapest "junk" and not the more expensive newer plastic and brass items. Find/patronize well-stocked hobby shops, but also see the magazine listings of local "train shows" and SCROUNGE there! Get/
borrow layout planning books to see how to best use your space, and dont' hestitate to ask for advice on this. Decide what part of railroading interests you MOST, then concentrate on getting that - nobody can have it all! Welcome, and good luck!

Posts: 57 | From: Allentown, PA, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to add another comment:

Don't plan on building your big dream layout at first. Start simple and learn along the way. You will find out what you like and what you don't. It's a lot more fun to have a loop of track with a few sidings that actually work, than a huge railroad that is half-finished and never makes it any farther because of problems that you had not envisioned from the start.

Good Luck

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy5
Member # 1062

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin's advice is good. I'm building a 4X8 layout as a "practice layout" to hone my modeling skills Before I jump into a big layout that will take years. Good luck,Randy.
Posts: 5 | From: Victoria,B.C. Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page