RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Scale decision? HO vs. N

Author Topic: Scale decision? HO vs. N
RHBB
Member # 997

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for RHBB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I built several HO layouts more than 20 years ago, but have been inactive in model railroading since the late 70s ... I'm ready to get back involved, but I am looking for some definitive reading on comparing N and HO scales. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or personal experiences that dictated their decision on which way to go? Thanks ...
Posts: 1 | From: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I started with 0 scale at the tender age of 7, then went to 00 by the time I was 12. Later in life (Now 65) I had N-scale for quite a number of years, then changed to HO and back to N-scale, and now back into HO for life due to needing reading glasses to see even HO properly. Maybe I should change to 0 again. Hmmmmm

Shamus

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slimjim375
Member # 199

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for slimjim375   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you think I went from HOn3 to Sn3 Now I know that car is around here some place.
Posts: 21 | From: Draper, UT | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seacoast
Member # 1028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seacoast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
N Scale has come a long way since
the 1970's! Engines are reliable than
before and there is much more of a selection.
The nice thing about N is that you can
have a small room with a 10 or 12 foot
run with some nice long trains with multiple
engines. Also since the scale is much smaller
than Ho you can compress great scenery into
a small space although personally I like long trains with impressive scenery in N. Try
looking into N Trak if your interested in
getting involved with a club they have
clubs in almost every state in the USA and
usually have huge layouts at train shows
that often have 100+ freight and 15 long
passenger consists

[This message has been edited by Seacoast (edited 08-31-2001).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been doing HO for 4 1/2 years and
during that period both N & HO has made tremendous advances in quality. There's no
comparison between todays superior products to those that were made back in the 70's. Go
to a hobby shop and look at both the N & HO
catalogs for product availability. I'm happy
with the HO and still need the assistance of a magnifing lamp/glass to assemble. At my age
of 62 my fingers couldn't handle N.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started with HO about 15 years ago, then wanted more in a smaller space, so got all N. I coldn't see to work on them very good, so started back with HO. These 71 year old eyeballs don't work like they used to did. The crowning touch, was, a loco stopped, and would jerkj to go, forward and back. Had to take it all apart and found 1 single grain of ballast in the gears. That told me that N was too persnickety for me. I dumped them and now stay strictly HO.

Lynn

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
N-scale is a little less than half the size of HO. That means you can fit almost four times as much into the same area using N-scale rather than HO-scale.

N-scale is good for running long trains over long stretches of track. HO is a better scale if you are thinking more about finely detailed scenery.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 09-01-2001).]

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears from the replys that HO is for Senior Citizens.
Grandpa Chuck.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck, you need some more school-housin' and book learnin'; the word is MATURE citizens.

Lynn

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thirdrail
Member # 1031

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thirdrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to build railroad models, choose HO, if you want to build a model railroad, choose N.
Posts: 23 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thirdrail said it perfectly. I completely agree.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page