RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Best NON DCC system?

Author Topic: Best NON DCC system?
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all of the hype and excitement over DCC, I thought it would be interesting to see what systems the NON DCC users are employing . I find that my Tech II dual cab controls with the tried and true block system work best for me...but hey I'm old fashioned . Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
"Our block system has been around so long I'm not sure there is a defined system. I use DPDT center off toggles for the whole railroad. It would be nice to use rotary swithes and increase the number of cabs available but the cost becomes pretty intense and it is not really necessary for any but the largest layouts. I have four cabs planned with two mainline and two yard cabs(one for each end of the RR). Most local switching between the two terminals will be by the mainline cabs. The only thing I think is really critical is walk around control. It adds a level of convience that I could not imagine doing without. I use MRC's Control master units with telephone type modular plug ins and speed memory if you have to move your throtle from jack to jack. Easy to install and makes life much simpler diagnosing track problems! Also adds the "follow your train feature" which is pretty cool.
By the way, how did the move go?
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great system to me Scott !! The move is still in progress, we close on the First and begin transporting stuff on the Second . Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NVTiny
Member # 45

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for NVTiny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I model outside, in 1/24, and I use Aristos Crafts Train Engineer onboard RC units, and batteries, In 3 years, I have not had to clean the rails. No worries of bad rail connectors, or miles of wires to hide. I understand you can use their system in HO also!!

------------------
NVTiny
Desert Springs & Rattler Gap Railroad
http://www.trainweb.org/dsrg/rg.gif

Posts: 23 | From: Silver Springs, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page