RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » How do I correct the gauge on an N-scale turnout?

Author Topic: How do I correct the gauge on an N-scale turnout?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an N-scale model railroad, using all Peco flex track and Peco turnouts. One of the turnouts has gone out of gauge. The rails have become a little too close, and every once in a while there is a derailment on it. Please understand that it is only a tiny bit out of gauge. My railroad is always inside in room temparature with little humidity (I live in the desert in Phoenix).

How should I "warp" this track back into gauge? My idea is to press a Kadee track measuring tool into it (to force it into gauge) and then blow a hair dryer on it to heat the plastic ties a little bit. What do you think I should do?

Thank you for your help.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 12-05-2001).]

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 2 cents ... I'd be a little concerned about the imprecision of using a hair dryer and the practical impossibility of controlling the heat. Forcing it back into gauge is ok, but can you prevent the plastic ties from expanding TOO far if they get too much heat?

Is replacement out of the question?

[This message has been edited by mrlithian (edited 12-07-2001).]

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thirdrail
Member # 1031

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thirdrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you asked PECO about it? They have a website and a Q&A format. I'd check with them. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to "flex" the railhead out a little with my square nosed pliers..
Posts: 23 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the suggestions. thirdrail, I had not thought about asking Peco, but that sounds like a good idea. Mrlithian, I was going to try to fix it first, but if that doesn't work, then I will replace it. It is a lot of work to replace it.

Thank you

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrlithian
Member # 1129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrlithian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just visted your EVRR -- had I done that first, I probably wouldn't have even THOUGHT of suggesting replacement. I can see how difficult it would be.

Very nice job -- your obviously careful plan was well executed, and I applaud your efforts. I've long considered changing to layout dimensions like yours -- you may have given me the impetus I needed to start a redesign.

(BTW, I agree with thirdrail.)

[This message has been edited by mrlithian (edited 12-09-2001).]

Posts: 52 | From: Lithia, Fl, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page