RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » tracklaying banking

Author Topic: tracklaying banking
Bridgebuildingbuff
Member # 1257

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bridgebuildingbuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You always hear of people having grades on their layout, but do any of you have or know of any layout with banking figured into your curves?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old railroad had banked curves. They were not correct as far a prototype standards, but they worked. All of my track was ballasted to cork roadbed. I used a sanding block and sanded the inside of the curves away a little bit on the roadbed before I put the track down.

My method worked fine. I never had a problem with it. I just could hardly tell that it was banked. I realized that the next time I would have to bank it more, and that may begin to cause problems. I figured it was not worth the chance of causing derailments with larger banks when building my new railroad.

I have read about banking in a book. I think it was in "Track Planning For Realistic Operation" by John Armstrong, but I am not sure.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgebuildingbuff
Member # 1257

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bridgebuildingbuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does seem like (with the way the cars weight is disbursed) that derailments could happen with anything more than say a 3 or 4 degree banking, especially with the higher cars.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page