RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Painting Bricks

Author Topic: Painting Bricks
ennsba
Member # 1270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ennsba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for some good ways of making brick buildings look real I have tried some but the buildings just do not look right! I would like to know ways that work and one that did not! TY
Posts: 2 | From: Clovis, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will probably end up with a bunch of ways, but I'll start with my ideas and suggestions. The bldg is more than likely red brick. It depends on the type of bldg and where it will go. I use those water based craft paints from craft stores (about 2/$1). Use a damp rag, put a couple drops of white on it and 'paint' the side, just smear it on. Use a dry cloth to wipe it off, and the white stays in the mortar seams. Since mortar comes in different colors, vary with grey, black, or whatever. You can get all the color off by wiping good, or make it like old brick by leaving a haze on it. Then depending again upon the bldg, placement and such, it would be cleaner under the eaves. Then don't forget dirty water splashes around the bottom. Draw a little wavy line up the side with glue and sprinkle 'grass' on it for ivy. That stays pretty flat, so a little thicker glue line, with teeny pieces of foam makes it more 3-D type. Apartments, window boxes with flowers.

Is this what you had in mind? If nobody else comes along, tell me the size, and type bldg and I may have some more ideas.

Good luck
Lynn

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ennsba
Member # 1270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ennsba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You! I will have to try that. I have been using just strait paint and getting bad results! I think this will work better. I am putting together a Movie theather / Bar Kit and a Factory both using brick walls. I am modeling 1900 - 1950's time frame. Any mor hints will be appreciated.
Posts: 2 | From: Clovis, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynn
Member # 533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad I could be of some help. You might do it on the back wallof the theater/bar, but especially on the factory, after the brckwork is done use a black wash. That is a couple drops of india ink in water or alcohol and slop it on with a brush. Test it first. I use that cheap craft paint, black, a couple drops in a small bottle of water. Wipe it on or brush it on, and kinda wipe/brush off. It shoule leave a dingy film on. If not, add a bit of paint, if too dark, use more water. After a couple times you get a feel for it. Other than a Brand-new wall, at least one coat to get the shine off, like the bldg is a couple years old, at least.

The theater/bar, if it is in a slightly disreputable part of town (not classy) and backs up to an alley, remember that there are always boxes and trash by the back doors, real grungy looking. That is real life.

Hope this helps you a little bit more.
Keep in touch
Lynn

Posts: 24 | From: whitehouse, tx USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
testing
Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a product called Robert's Brick Mortar, 4 oz,used for aging and mortar lines.No mixing, no guessing, washable white.
Want more infor?
Chuck Walsh
locomotive3@prodigy.net

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candu Rwy
Member # 1286

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candu Rwy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wash of art oil paint disolved in turpentine works well, but keep the surface flat until it dries, so it doesn'r run to the low point.
Posts: 1 | From: Pembroke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page