RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » What sort of Freight?

Author Topic: What sort of Freight?
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all! Just wondering what sort of freight trains you all run on your layouts.

I am heavily into Intermodal, but also run all sorts of mixed freights, mainly generated by on-line industries.

Also have a unit grain train, due to some VERY good prices on some covered hoppers

------------------
Alan

The perfect combination - BNSF and N Scale!

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan,
I run mainly mixed freight due to the needs of the isolated Colorado community my railroad serves. Typically an inbound freight can have food, clothing, alcohol, building materials, etc. Outbound freights include mineral ores in various grades and levels of reduction, and empty cars.

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well lets see, N&W = coal . I also run some mixed freight , and I have a couple of 4-8-0s that look great pulling the daily mixed train.....Mike

------------------
Its only money

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's See! hmmmmm, N&W and Conrail on a bridge route in Central West Virginia, it must be coal. However, mixed freight, including lumber, show up regularly. I also throw in a tourist steam train to screw up the schedules.

------------------
AJ Y6b N&W and Conrail Fan
http://communities.msn.com/TheGRRModelRR (my page)

http://www.nvrra.org (my club's page)

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NVTiny
Member # 45

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NVTiny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I supply the 3 towns with canned goods, meat, drink, hardware, cloths, lumber, People, blasting powder, barbed wire, mining equipment. and we carry out Logs, lumber, Ore [silver-gold-lead], and cattle. I may add a few items as I progress..

------------------
NVTiny
Desert Springs & Rattler Gap Railroad
http://www.trainweb.org/dsrg/dsrg.htm

Posts: 23 | From: Silver Springs, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Salida division of the D&RGW runs mixed freight, livestock, reefers, coal,limestone and an occasional ore consist as well as through and local passenger service.
Riding the high iron,
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOPAC1
Member # 80

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MOPAC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I so far have been running just mixed freights. If you are heading towards operations, I highly recommend the Albion Software program "Ship It!". It will generate random assignments based on the industries and rolling stock you input. It's great! MOPAC 1
Posts: 9 | From: Garden City, KS. U.S.A. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SC&PMRR runs mixed freights with a predominance of hoppers since there is a rock quarry that serves as the primary industry for the area. Burlington and Santa Fe 1940's-current.
Scott Whitfield
SC&PMRR

------------------

Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jameskrapf
Member # 201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jameskrapf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scott whitfield:
The SC&PMRR runs mixed freights with a predominance of hoppers since there is a rock quarry that serves as the primary industry for the area. Burlington and Santa Fe 1940's-current.
Scott Whitfield
SC&PMRR

On my Lehigh & Susquehanna, set in eastern Pennsylvania in the 1960's and 1970's, I run mostly coal with some mixed freight and some piggyback and auto-rack traffic. Motive power is mostly first generation diesel but I do run some newer SD-40 and GP-40 units

Posts: 9 | From: Burkesville,Ky,USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page