RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Moving the Railroad!!

Author Topic: Moving the Railroad!!
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well folks, the second most dreaded moment in a model railroader's life has arrived (the first dreaded is if the wife says no way to building a railroad in the first place!!). Yes, I am moving to a new house and must move the railroad . Any advice?? Luckily it is the road I built for the kids and myself, so it is relatively small (4 by 8), but we've got some VERY tall mountains. Any help would be appreciated!!
John
To view the layout go to: http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personaly I view this as an opportiunity to start over and do something bigger and better. Unless you built the layout to be movable it will probably end up damaging something. You could always strip everything except the track and wireing and rebuild the sceneary after you get it moved. Sorry I cant give you any better options....Mike

------------------
Its only money

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtual-bird
Member # 37

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for virtual-bird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hire a truck and throw the whole thing in the back!

the only thing is to cut the tops off the mountains and have then as removable later..??

------------------
RR:
K, C, & Bird Butt Railroad - SP, NS, and ROCK admirer. Its a coal mining region of a place far far away, that shares with SP, NS, and some CSX..
Also some Custom RARE Bird RR sd40-2's coming!
Era:

Time stands still round these parts, and we have everything from Steam, to Diesels of today.

Posts: 32 | From: sydney aussie | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have actually considered dismantelling the whole thing and starting over...good excuse to start the module layout I wanted to build in the first place !!
Happy Modeling,
John

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to move my layout to my new house and I was somewhat successful. I had two sections that were 4x4 and easy to move. However, I could not move my 4x8 section due to a very tight turn (boy it was easy when it was a plain 4x8 sheet of plywood). Anyway the saw came out. When I got to new basement I tried to salvage part of the cut up 4x8. Tried is the keyword here. Now I am working on a brand new layout. I salvaged what track I could from old layout and I am looking forward to getting this new layout running.

------------------
AJ Y6b N&W and Conrail Fan
http://communities.msn.com/TheGRRModelRR

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am afraid that I am in the same boat. It's ok I guess, because maybe I can start building the railroad I wanted to build in the first place !! Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Bos
Member # 42

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm now on version 5 of the same stupid railroad. Keep the parts you like (Sawzall) and keep modelling . By the way , the website is great. Bobby

------------------

Posts: 13 | From: Fallon, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for visiting my site Bos !! Yes, I am afraid that the current version of the CSW may be all but dead...but I have already drawn plans up for a new, improved and larger CSW !! Good luck and Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page