RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » DCC

Author Topic: DCC
mrdtrains
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mrdtrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not new to model railroading. My son and I are in the process of building our new layout and we want to go with DCC. We've researched things out and like both the LENZ system and the North Coast Engineering (NCE) system. Does anyone have knowledge and/or insight into either of these two systems that would help us to make our decision as to which one to go with.

Michael
Grand Junction, CO

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been discussed at length on Trainboard.com and the concensus was for Digitrax. This was overwhelmingly the favourite.

I do not have any experience of DCC yet - I am afraid that if I try it, I will get hooked, and have to spend a fortune retro-fitting all my locomotives

------------------
Alan

The perfect combination - BNSF and N Scale!

ac-models
The N Scale Andersley Western Railroad

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,
Welcome to the forum!! I am not a DCC user but like most modelers I have at least toyed with the idea . From what I know Digitrax is your best bet in quality, reliability, and access to replacement parts. Additionally, Atlas now offers what appears to be a reasonable DCC start-up set. I believe (but don't quote me on it) that they use Lenz parts. Happy Mopdeling!!
John

------------------
Colorado and Southwestern, the Top of the Rockies!
http://jstrainstation.homestead.com

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIchael,

Okay I have to get my two cents in about DCC..I am a happy DCC user and I use MRC Command 2000. If you have a small home layout where you aren't going to run any more than 10 locos then its a great system. And the price is very reasonable as well. I've seen it advertised for under $150. We use Dynatrol at my club because we have a large nuber of engines and it was the best at the time we bought it. Just my two cents.

jb

Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrdtrains
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrdtrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now I am confused.

I've been talking to Caboose Hobbies in Denver and the two they recommend are NCE and Lenz. There is definatly two very distinct factions within Caboose Hobbies who favor NCE or Lenz. What I've learned is they both have their strengths and only minor weaknesses. I could be happy with both but am looking for someone to sway me to one or the other. It may just come down to which one will cost me the least green. According to Caboose Hobbies, the Atlas and MRC DCC systems are entry level and don't provide all the capabilities as set forth in the NMRA DCC standards. They also say that Digitrax is "OK" but have fallen behind NCE and LENZ. As for the engine decoders, digitrax are considered very good. However, if you are planning on having sound also, then the DSD150 decoder from SoundTraxx (Durango, CO) is far and away the best decoder available. It gives you motor control, lighting control and sound - all on one card. They also sell a DSX150 card which is sound only. This would be used if you already have motor and lighting control and now want to add sound. This will mean that you will have two decoder cards in the loco and the cost of two cards is the same as what the DSD150 would cost. So, if you are starting from scratch, it seems to me that having one card that does it all is easier to install, but the cost is no different. If anyone ever goes to Caboose Hobbies ask to see a demo. It will get you hooked and blow your socks off!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragondawg
Member # 29

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragondawg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael,

Not sure what Caboose Hobbies means by not meeting all the NMRA DCC standards. I haven't found anything I can't do with the MRC system that I need to do, including multiple lashups with different locos that run at different speeds. I also have the walkaround throttle, with three seperate locations where I can plug in. And my railroad is in a 12 by 12 foot room. I'm usually by myself or occassionaly have a friend with me. We can run seperate trains in different places or the same general area. I can be pulling into the yard as he is pulling out. Granted it is a basic system, but like I said for a small railroad where you don't have lots of engines, its a good system. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Posts: 30 | From: Jacksonville, FL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michael. I believe Cabose Hobbies is probably right. Digitrax is a very good system, but the people that have used the NCE system seem to like it better. I own the MRC system , myself, and it is limited as to what you can do with it. It does support all the NMRA functions , as Dragondog has pointed out, but axcessing them is either dificult or impossible. It is a nice system for a smaller layout though.Man I do wish I could afford a few of those DSD150s. But if I get them the MRC system will limit what I can adjust on them. If CH is reccomending these systems I would take their advice.They are a very reputible company IMO....MIke

------------------
Its only money

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrdtrains
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrdtrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mike C.

Where do you live and what is your email address. Mine is: mrdmail@usa.net

FYI to everyone: Caboose Hobbies is a huge hobby store in Denver. They claim to be the largest in the country (I think), or, at least in the western part of the country. Their website is: caboosehobbies.com

They have some very knowledgeable people when it comes to DCC. If you buy a system from them they will give you some personalized training (in a classroom) on how to wire the loco for DCC and install the decoder. Also train you on DCC ready locos.

They do like digitrax decoders but if you want onboard sound then DSD150 decoders from Sountraxx (soundtraxx.com) is what they recommend.

Websites for NCE and LENZ are:
http://www.tttrains.com/northcoast http://www.lenz.com

Mike C
Member # 35

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michae, I an at mikechamberlain@netwalk.com in Columbus Ohio. Got any Questions just yell ...Mike

------------------
Its only money

Posts: 97 | From: Columbus Ohio USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virtual-bird
Member # 37

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for virtual-bird   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
Hi Michae, I an at mikechamberlain@netwalk.com in Columbus Ohio. Got any Questions just yell ...Mike

As Alan says, try http://www.trainboard.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=DCC&number=12&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=

There are a few hundred DCC people there!

I've learnt in modelling "DONT" always listen to what the shop tells you. I would find a club that isnt trying to sell you something, and see what they would do.

------------------
RR:
K, C, & Bird Butt Railroad - SP, NS, and ROCK admirer. Its a coal mining region of a place far far away, that shares with SP, NS, and some CSX..
Also some Custom RARE Bird RR sd40-2's coming!
Era:

Time stands still round these parts, and we have everything from Steam, to Diesels of today.

Posts: 32 | From: sydney aussie | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page