RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Railfans and/or Modellers?

Author Topic: Railfans and/or Modellers?
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wondered what propertion of the members here are modellers, or railfans, or both?

------------------
Alan

The perfect combination - BNSF and N Scale!

ac-models
The N Scale Andersley Western Railroad

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan,
I imagine most of us are a little of both. I however have always considered myself more of a modeler.
Scott Whitfield
Engineer
Sachse Central and Purple Mountain Railroad
G Guage, Texas

------------------

Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan,
HO and the D&RGW is what my shangrila is. I'm definatly both railfan and modeler!
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajy6b
Member # 77

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for ajy6b   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am both railfan and model railroader. My wife probably thinks I take both the excess I wish I had the time to do more of both, but where I spend the time depends on the season. In the spring and fall I love to be trackside. Winter and summer I prefer to work more on my layout. Nothing better to do on a cold raw wintry day then to work on the layout. Likewise on a miserable hot summer day, I will spend it in the cool basement, working on layout.

------------------
AJ Y6b N&W and Conrail Fan
http://communities.msn.com/TheGRRModelRR (my page)

http://www.nvrra.org (my club's page)

Posts: 30 | From: Eastern Mass, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
therailnut
Member # 171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for therailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do alot of railfanning. Since I do not have a layout yet. I want to start a layout that has to do with the Illinois Division. I want have Galesburg to Chicago on the former BN line. Since I live in Galesburg and that particular line runs through my back yard. Why not. So until I start my model railroad I will be railfan.

------------------
keep on railroadin'

Posts: 24 | From: Galesburg ,IL | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least you can gather a lot of information during your railfanning, which will help your modelling when you get started

------------------
Alan

ac-models

Posts: 32 | From: Spalding, Lincs. England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
therailnut
Member # 171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for therailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I trying to learn alot about this division as far as signals and speed restrictions and other litle details about it. I have traveled part of the distance in a car to get details for this particular area. Most of the trains are connecting trains to CSX and NS(former conrail lines). Any other is usually coal trains that are to heavy for the chillecothe sub. Oh I forgot detour stacks from the UP and the BNSF when chillecothe Sub gets full. And I plan to use some of that when the layout gets going.

------------------
keep on railroadin'

Posts: 24 | From: Galesburg ,IL | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rod Tonkin
Member # 200

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Tonkin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while I model north American trains, I find observing how Austailan railways(railroads) operate helps me build a more realistic model railway
Posts: 1 | From: Western Ausralia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jameskrapf
Member # 201

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jameskrapf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan:
I just wondered what propertion of the members here are modellers, or railfans, or both?

I am both fan and modeler but it is hard to railfan since the CNJ/LV are both gone but I do go trackside in the summer and fall. I visit the CSX in my local area of Kentucky.

Posts: 9 | From: Burkesville,Ky,USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in England, it is even harder for me to railfan But there are always videotapes, magazines and the internet

And the times when I can get over to the states for some serious railfanning fun

------------------
Alan

ac-models

NVTiny
Member # 45

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for NVTiny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in 1/24 scale outdoor railroading, and I get to watch a 1:1 local train from my back yard railroad. I deal with real things like Snow, Rain, Winds, -10º to 118º temps, rail-gaps caused by heat, animals [lizards, snakes, squirrls, and birds]. I'm next to the old Carson & Colorado RR. right-O-way. The SP now owns it, and ships Logs, wood fence post, and other lumber to a preasure treatment plant behind my place. They also do the shipping of ammo to and from the US Army depot just south of me.

------------------
NVTiny
Desert Springs & Rattler Gap Railroad
http://www.trainweb.org/dsrg/dsrg.htm

Posts: 23 | From: Silver Springs, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have an O scale (British) railway in the garden some years ago. (Before I saw the light and went over to American Railroading!)

We had a lot of fun with it, but the maintenance became a chore, (although we don't have snakes, lizards, etc ) so I went indoors with HO, but have now settled on N Scale, and here I will stay

------------------
Alan

ac-models

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page