RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Passenger Lighting

Author Topic: Passenger Lighting
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year everyone!

Any ideas out there for lighting Rivarossi/IHC passenger cars? Don't find anything for that specific aplication in Walthers. I've tried 1.5v and 9v arrangements but there kind of clumsy and take a lot of space in the cars that has to be disguised.
Thanks--be careful out there tonight.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The system I am using on my passenger fleet involves sticking a C cell in a Baggage car with a Double Pole Single Throw micro switch protruding through the floor in some discrete spot. THe rest of the cars with 1.5V bulbs of your choice and configuration of your choice are then wired in paralell and connected to each other and the battery car by micro-Disconnects.

I am currently working on an article on how to do this in detail, complete with illistrations and will put it on my web site when I get it done. Will post link here.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback, I might give that a try.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micro-Disconnects. Sounds like a great idea, probably will look like head end power (HEP) cables.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's about exactly what they look like, S.C.
or, at least, the type I use does. Challenger, your idea sounds great, any chance you could throw something in adding resistors to this circuit in case you have to pull one of the cars out for service?

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should not need any resisters,

The beuty of wiring the bulbs in paralel is that everything within each unit is self contained. If one car needs taken out of service for maintainence You just stop the train. Disconect the power cables. Removecar from consist. Couple train back together. Reconnect power cables and depart. There is now power out put to adjust, no change in light intensity, and if one bulb burns out, it is quickly identified as the rest of the builbs stay light.

Here is a quick typogram of the wiring plan I am using.

+ ------------------
| | | | | |
o o o o o o
| | | | | |
- ------------------

the o = the indiviual bulbs.

As for what the wires look like. If you rout down around the coupler. The extra cables will look like Steam and signal lines on Pre-HEP equipment.

If you route cables in present HEP style, then the HEP cables you suggest will be evident.

I hopethis makes it a little more clear for every one.

The one disadvantage I see with this system, During the uncoupling operation, a lot of non-prototypical car handiling will have to done. If your one of those people that like swtiching passenger trains. I dont reccomend this system. But for me. I just run passenger trains to give my freights something to work agianst. Switching cars in and out of passenger consists is not my thing.

Well I hope this provides a little clarification for every one.

James.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Looks like my typogram worked less than expected. I hope you can still follow it.

James

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, James; I guess I missed the 'parrallel' part, now it makes sense. and for the record, your typogram looks great! easy to follow, decode, er, I mean, draw as a schematic, it's perfect
Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Glad you are able to follow it. On the text box where you write the post, I had it looking really nice. But when it posted it the spacings got goofed up. Oh well. I will do a nice one drawn in CAD for the article.

James.

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, James, I do have a bit of an advantage as far as schematics go. I am studying to get a Bachelors degree in electronics engineering.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Cool.

I have the potential for having lots of degrees. But in math I have problems grasping concepts past math in higher aldgebra. Get there and I begin to lose it. So right now, I am getting an Associates in Business. Even though I have problems running the math. That doesn't mean I dont understand what is happening. I just cant explain it to the professors in teh way they want it explained to them because I need to be able to work calculus. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG.

Well good luck with your degree.

James.

Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, James. I know what you mean about knowing the material, but not being able prove it the way they want you to; I'm the same way with any kind of paperwork, that's why this is my 3rd try at college. In lab, I can build almost any circuit you ask me to build; and guarantee success on the first try; but when it comes to writing formulas, theories, or HOMEWORK, it just won't come out right. Like there's a wire missing between my head and my hand, right?

Thanks, again for the luck, mid-terms are in 2 weeks.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page