RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Triple-Articulated Steam Locomotives

Author Topic: Triple-Articulated Steam Locomotives
joart47allen
Member # 2523

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for joart47allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to Steam Locomotives. I have heard of Mallets(4-8-8-4)and Garrets(2-6-4+4-6-2)
and have seen photos of same. However I have just read a very brief description of a triple-articulated locomotive(2-8-8-8-4-6) originally manufactured by the Baldwin Loco-
motive Company in 1916 for the Virginia Railroad. Has ANYONE ever seen one of these monsters? Got any photographs? I currently have 2 HO UP Big Boys in my collecttion now and would like to know more about very large steam locomotive models. Is the triple-articulated available as a model? Who
makes it? How about the Garret? Is that loco
motive available as an HO model also? Any in-
formation and/or photos will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | From: Glenn Heights, TX USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RGB600V
Member # 2503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGB600V   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the locos you were referring to were a 2-8-8-8-2; the Erie had a couple also. They were not successful-- they had too many cylinders for the amount of steam the boiler could produce & ran out of steam regularly. If they would have had smaller cylinders or a larger boiler things may have been different, but they spent most of their short lives in helper service on drag freights. You could say they were sort of an experiment that didn't work out. Bob
Posts: 5 | From: Concord, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I remember what your talking about. Yes I have seen those. After the arrangmetn was deemed a failiur, If my memory is right, I do beleave the Virginain aquired the Erie examples and rebuilt the whole lot of them as reggular 2-8-8-2s and then lasted through World War II on the Virginian in such fashion.
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suburban90
Member # 2450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suburban90   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where I might be able to find information on these short live bigger boys on the internet?
Posts: 32 | From: Colorado, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom H
Member # 53

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do an internet search for 'Erie Triplex'.
If you get the same results that I did, there are 50 pages (Yes, PAGES) of sites that have something to do with this unique stam locomotive.

Tom H
Have FUN and Keep on Railroading.

Posts: 57 | From: Hudson, Fl USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page