RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Which track?

Author Topic: Which track?
richy
Member # 269

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for richy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought my first Ho engine. I bought some used track just to get started. Any problem with mixing track from different manufacturers? What track is best? I'm looking for good value.
Posts: 8 | From: Carnation, WA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, Welcome to the forum!! This is really a big question. I'm sure you have seen the many different manufacturers listed, and the different codes for track. Generally for the more prototypical railroad, code 80 track is close. Peco makes very good track and accessories. What ever you decide on I would make the following guidelines: Use flex track as much as possible, go with nickel silver and not brass, stay away from the all in one unit track that has the track attached to a plastic roadbed. In terms of mixing and matching it doesn't much matter except in the all in one track where some manufacturers have one hook system and others have a slide system. Good luck and Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LouisvilleNashville00
Member # 272

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LouisvilleNashville00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with the Bachmann track? I hanve it nd it works just fine! Don't go with the gray trackbed,though. It is very expensive in my area,maybe in yours too.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richy,
John got all the important info to you. I use Peco turouts and flextrack and have had great results over the past 10 years with turnout reliability. There are minor prototypical differences because Peco is a littly more oriented toward English prototype trackage. But with VERY LITTLE modification I think it looks great on my D&RGW. If you mix Shinohara products with Peco Products there is a slight difference in tie thickness but not enough that can't be adjusted for whith shims. Other than some Atlas flextrack and it seems to perform fine-but I've had quite a bit of trouble with the Atlas turnouts.
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to trouble with the Atlas turnouts...at least the remote turnouts! I am trying the manual Atlas turnouts on the new N guage layout, but have'nt had a chance to test them yet...Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millcstl
Member # 60

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for millcstl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
Makes them replaceable!
Scott

Posts: 127 | From: Gunnison, CO, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page