RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Question

Author Topic: Question
Anton
Member # 270

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am new at this so I need some help. How do you guys get the trees and stuff for the landscape? Do you make it yourself?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcater
Member # 31

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcater   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anton, first: welcome to the forum . Trees and other scenic materials can be purchased commercially through hobby stores and on line. Some trees come ready made others as kits. There are quite a few people though that do scratch build trees especially. I am a mix. I like the commercial pine trees available through Woodland Scenics, but could find no good aspen trees, so I made them myself (and they looked good to if I do say so myself ). A good place to start is by looking in a model railroad magazine, like Model Railroader, Model RailCraftsman etc., to get an idea of what is out there. Also find a good hobby shop and go in and talk to the folks about what you are most interested in in your scenery (desert?? Mountian?? Seaside??). Most hobby shop guys are the kind of people that will love to talk about scenics because everybody has their own ideas of what works best. While you are at the hobby shop, pick up a book by Kalmbach publishing called "Realistic Model Scenery." This book not only tells you HOW to scenic a railroad, it has great tips and pictures as well. Good luck, join us often and Happy Modeling!!
John

------------------
The Santa Fe and Southwestern, Chief of the Southwest!

Posts: 204 | From: Montrose | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page